Isbar thread

I'm having trouble finding out about the genetics of egg color for isbars (or any rare breed for that matter). My only SB (see my post a couple weeks ago) will be a roo, so if he carries green egg genes, and mates with my cream legbars (blue eggs), SFH (light tan eggs), or Spitzhaubens (white eggs), what color egg layers will their offspring be? It seems like the blue/white base color is simple autosomal domnant/recessive, but the brown overlay not so much? I've looked all over online and can't find a good resource to help me figure this out. Will they all lay some variation of green eggs presuming he is an OO?
Thanks! Here's a photo of him now at 11 weeks, just because he's getting so handsome.
AADDA7C9-10BF-4B24-BCF5-0C377282DC4A.JPG

Last edited:
I'm having trouble finding out about the genetics of egg color for isbars (or any rare breed for that matter). My only SB (see my post a couple weeks ago) will be a roo, so if he carries green egg genes, and mates with my cream legbars (blue eggs), SFH (light tan eggs), or Spitzhaubens (white eggs), what color egg layers will their offspring be? I've looked all over online and can't find a good resource to help me figure this out, and it doesn't seem like simple dominant/recessive genes. Thanks! Here's a photo of him now at 11 weeks, just because he's getting so handsome. View attachment 1057638

The only one I can speak to with any reliability is the CCL cross which produces what some people call the "ice cream bar." Chicks from this cross will lay blue-green eggs.

There are some poultry genetics sites that are helpful. I am test mating my SB rooster with isabelle leghorns. If the off spring lay blueish eggs he will be verified to carry the blue egg gene. Leghorns (I am told) carry a brown egg suppressor, so I can't get green eggs with that cross. I wonder if Spitzhaubens would be the same? Covering something like a SFH, you should get another color of green egg. CCL you should get a blue green egg. There are a lot of Isbar/Silverudd's Blue out there that are not homogenous. I wish there was a DNA test for birds. Anyone know of one?

There are some poultry genetics sites that are helpful. I am test mating my SB rooster with isabelle leghorns. If the off spring lay blueish eggs he will be verified to carry the blue egg gene. Leghorns (I am told) carry a brown egg suppressor, so I can't get green eggs with that cross. I wonder if Spitzhaubens would be the same? Covering something like a SFH, you should get another color of green egg. CCL you should get a blue green egg. There are a lot of Isbar/Silverudd's Blue out there that are not homogenous. I wish there was a DNA test for birds. Anyone know of one?

But, since the Blue is dominant to the white (in all cases as far as the limited resources I have found), if the rooster is OO, then the SB/Spitzhauben cross should then lay blue eggs, they just won't be green if the girls have a brown suppressor? If he is Oo, then there's a 50% chance of blue eggs (presuming there are no blue egg genes in the female). The base for any green egg is a blue shell, right? My SB roo came from GFF, so I don't know what that says about his genetics, but they talk a good talk.

But, since the Blue is dominant to the white (in all cases as far as the limited resources I have found), if the rooster is OO, then the SB/Spitzhauben cross should then lay blue eggs, they just won't be green if the girls have a brown suppressor? If he is Oo, then there's a 50% chance of blue eggs (presuming there are no blue egg genes in the female). The base for any green egg is a blue shell, right? My SB roo came from GFF, so I don't know what that says about his genetics, but they talk a good talk.

They do. They are marketing geniuses. (I say that with affection as a graphic designer/PR person) I have a GFF descended SB black pullet and she's lovely. The splash SB cockerel I hatched from the same clutch was good looking, too. I lost all of my SB eggs this hatch due to a malfunctioning incubator (thanks, Brinsea) and I've been down in the dumps. I would really like 1 each splash and blue pullets.

My shipment of GFF SBs gave me two mottled blacks. Grr. Apparently the second import has a bit of it. Sadly, also in that shipment, I ended up with only 4 of 12 pullets. (Not their fault, I know. Just another frustration - thankfully didn't pay asking price.)

My shipment of GFF SBs gave me two mottled blacks. Grr. Apparently the second import has a bit of it. Sadly, also in that shipment, I ended up with only 4 of 12 pullets. (Not their fault, I know. Just another frustration - thankfully didn't pay asking price.)

Did you negotiate the price with them? They sent me 14 chicks through I only paid for 6.

Did you negotiate the price with them? They sent me 14 chicks through I only paid for 6.
No, it was through an auction. They still weren't cheap, but less than I would have paid direct... although now that I think about it, only getting 4 pullets (I already have 2 beautiful 1st import descendant roos, so I won't be keeping the cockerels), maybe I didn't get a good deal after all!

Lost my only Isbar/SB hen a couple months back, and my egg order from Florida was a bust (too far I guess). ISO SB eggs closer to ID or an extra pullet or two. I am in Idaho, but could get birds picked up in Northern UT or on I-80 route through WY to Cheyenne.

Back
Top Bottom