Isbars vs Legbars...

Travelin Chicks

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 12, 2012
Thinking of getting some new girls and contemplating something a bit different....Isbars or some of the Legbars.....I live in Vermont.....anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!!

I think either would be excellent depending on your preference. Or both! Large single combs are more susceptible to frostbite but they should be fine in Vermont as long as they have adequate winter shelter. (I used to live in VT but now I'm in PA.) I have both breeds because I couldn't decide. :)

I think either would be excellent depending on your preference. Or both! Large single combs are more susceptible to frostbite but they should be fine in Vermont as long as they have adequate winter shelter. (I used to live in VT but now I'm in PA.) I have both breeds because I couldn't decide. :)
Where in PA? I need more room!! I want Isbars! I need some new leghorns too. Preferably not white! What kind do you have? Had five and predators got 4 and a neighbor's new dog got one. I wish the raccoon had gotten my poor laying black sex link. The raccoons met their end.

I'm in south central PA - close to the Maryland border. I have Blue Isbar (Silverudd's Blue) and Cream Legbars. They are all just chicks right now. I am growing them out to see which ones I will keep for my breeding program.

Well...When we got back into chickens after a job transfer 7 years ago. I wanted to get blue eggs because I remembered collecting colored eggs on my Grandpa's farm when I was a small child and couldn't imagine having a family flock only to get eggs that were the same as what you could buy at the store. My Grandpa's farm got Auracanas in the mid 60's from Myers Hatchery. When I started to look for Auracanas I discovered that they were not the same thing as what we called Auracanas on my Grandfathers farm. The rumpless birds, the ear tuffs, etc. were not what I though a chicken should look like. I wanted a classical chicken look to my family flock. There were plenty of Easter eggers and Americanas available (unlike Auracanas that were impossible to find) but the ear muffs were even too much for me. I wanted a clean faced single combed bird. When I learned about the Cream Legbars they were not available in the USA but a breeder near me had created her own line a Gold Legbars from Brown Leghorns and Barred Rocks so I started my own plans to introduce blued eggs from Easter Eggs to the line of Gold Legbars to recreate my own Blue Egg Laying Legbar. They were imported before I could complete that project. So I got the Imported Legbars the first year they were available as a short cut to creating my Cream Legbar Line. I didn't learn about Isbar until after they were imported. They lay an Olive egg and are blue/black/splash, but have the same single comb and clean face as the Legbars. I guess in comes down to what color chicken you like and what color egg you like. The Cream Legbar was the choice for me. I like the Andaulsian Blue color in chickens with solid blue birds and heavy lacing, but I don't like the red shouldered cockerels in Blue nor the blue look with out the sharp lacing. I would be fine with either blue or green eggs. Both are unique to what you get at the super market.

Last edited:
I have no experience with Legbars, but have 3 Isbars that I have been very impressed with. My 3 are all very quiet and keep to themselves. They are quite small compared to the rest of my flock, but lay a large green egg that puts my EE eggs to shame. And they do it daily almost without fail.

IMG_0076.JPG I couldn't decide either so I got both and so far both breeds have wonderful personalities, are gorgeous birds and I haven't regretted spending the money to get both. I lost one of each. One to metrics's three months out and one to a power outage day three. IMG_0098.JPG IMG_0168.JPG IMG_0933.JPG IMG_0941.JPG
All from gff

Attachments

• IMG_0898.JPG
    IMG_0898.JPG
    829.2 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom