Isn't she supposed to be broody by now?

The Chickeneer

~A Morning's Crow~
9 Years
Jan 9, 2011
Central Valley California
Ok, so I have three Mille Fleur D'uccle bantams(1 roo 2 hens), we've had them for a couple months and in the past few weeks, they have been laying. These are the first bantams I've had, but from what I've heard, they are supposed to be really good mothers and go broody at the drop of a hat...There are currently 17 eggs in their nest, and I am wondering if they should be broody by now, I know 17 is too much for them to sit on, but i have no idea which ones to take out since i don't know when each one was laid because i want top leave the freshest ones in ther just in case she does brood. Will they go broody, or is the 17 egg a tell tell sign that they won't? I don't wan't the eggs to get too old and be unviable.....so I wan't to take them out. But one of them might go broody any day now, so I'm stuck and am not sure what to do. can anyone help? Thanks
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
A hen will go broody on her schedule & no amount of waiting will influence her. It's something they do, but it's not on any schedule. Your right 17 eggs is to many. I remove the eggs, put a date (todays date) & store them in egg cartons & every week remove the oldest, replace with current eggs (date marked) & when they decide to go broody you will have the freshest eggs to give them. If one does go broody make sure she has a separate nest that the other one can't lay I or you will have mixed up bunch of eggs where they will hatch at different times, big mess.

If neither one of your hens are showing signs of going broody, there's nothing you can do about it. I'd pull all the eggs until there are difinate signs, than let her be. She may go broody next week, or next month, you just never know. In the meantime just keep an eye on them and wait.

So now there is 19 eggs...no one is broody. My incubator is already full but I guess I can take some and put them in where there is room. It doesn't matter if they go broody now, I just don't want the egg to go to waste. Well see what happens. Thanks

Leaving eggs in the nest does not make them go broody. They will go broody even if you pull the eggs out every day. You'll know when it happens, because you'll reach under the hen on the nest, she'll give you the stink eye, growl, and maybe try to peck you. She will stay on the nest, even if you take all the eggs. You could put some fake eggs under her for a couple of days to make sure she means it before you put hatching eggs under her.

Back
Top Bottom