ISO Appenzeller Barthuhner

Aug 28, 2019
One of my kids wants to start a poultry conservation project for 4H and has picked Appenzeller Barthuhner as the breed he wants to help. I'm very proud of him for wanted to go the conservation route as he could do any poultry project.
I am struggling to even find anyone WITH this breed, let alone selling hatching eggs or chicks. We are looking to purchase in spring but would do it now if needed. Need to know pricing so he can earn some money over the winter for it.

One of my kids wants to start a poultry conservation project for 4H and has picked Appenzeller Barthuhner as the breed he wants to help. I'm very proud of him for wanted to go the conservation route as he could do any poultry project.
I am struggling to even find anyone WITH this breed, let alone selling hatching eggs or chicks. We are looking to purchase in spring but would do it now if needed. Need to know pricing so he can earn some money over the winter for it.

Sounds like a wonderful 4H project. Since you/your son are planning for a spring purchase, I would suggest doing a Google search and start contacting businesses on pricing and availability. I did a quick search and found a number of places that sell both chicks and hatching eggs. But like anything, I think you need to get in touch with them early for planning - especially with rare breeds.

Here is a link for the Appenzeller Barthuhner at a place that advertises both chicks and hatching eggs. Maybe contact them, and others, for availability and pricing. Good luck.

Sounds like a wonderful 4H project. Since you/your son are planning for a spring purchase, I would suggest doing a Google search and start contacting businesses on pricing and availability. I did a quick search and found a number of places that sell both chicks and hatching eggs. But like anything, I think you need to get in touch with them early for planning - especially with rare breeds.

Here is a link for the Appenzeller Barthuhner at a place that advertises both chicks and hatching eggs. Maybe contact them, and others, for availability and pricing. Good luck.
Thank you
I already emailed them and they told me yesterday that they no longer carry that breed. Many of the places that come up in a Google search I have messaged but they either refuse to message me back or no longer carry the breed
posting here has been a last-ditch effort and I have been searching the forums frantically and messaging anyone who has ever bred them

Last edited:
What about raising Appenzeller Spitzhaubens? They are less rare, but still an "endangered" breed. They are pretty too.
FullSizeRender (16).jpg

DC Heritage in Quebec, Canada has them. Out of the 14 eggs I ordered only one hatched, and she has one eye smaller than the other. But it was late in the season, September and the replacement eggs hatched in October, so fertility is naturally lower. She refunded me eggs that didn't hatch though, which was nice. They have bad and good reviews, I'm not entirely sure about their breeding program, but she was kind, and professional, in all of our numerous communications.

What about raising Appenzeller Spitzhaubens? They are less rare, but still an "endangered" breed. They are pretty too
Was about to suggest the same thing! Spitzhaubens are very good foragers and lay well. I always get an egg a day from my 3 girls and even now with the colder weather, they are still laying at least every other day....through molting season! I only fill their feeder halfway once a week at best they are so good at foraging. My orps on the other hand....little piggies.:lau

Thank you guys. We may get spitzenhabens eventually but I'm really in love with the Barthuhners, even if we can't get them for my son's conservation project. He's starting to lose interest as we haven't been able to find them.
I keep telling him to wait until spring, that's when everyone has chicks

DC Heritage in Quebec, Canada has them. Out of the 14 eggs I ordered only one hatched, and she has one eye smaller than the other. But it was late in the season, September and the replacement eggs hatched in October, so fertility is naturally lower. She refunded me eggs that didn't hatch though, which was nice. They have bad and good reviews, I'm not entirely sure about their breeding program, but she was kind, and professional, in all of our numerous communications.
I saw them online and I've been considering driving across the border and finding out how much it costs to get 3-5 birds back through customs. I live in Michigan so Canada is just a couple hour drive depending on where I wanna cross at. Might be worth it since there seems to be demand in the states but no supply.
Do you have any info on breed standard at all?

I just got started with them myself this year and tell your son they're worth it.

Pirate loves people and is the sweetest of all the breeds we hatched out this year (Black Copper Marans, Cream Legbar, Crevecoeur, Swedish Blue). She/he actually cuddles. If you pick him/her up and put her in the crook of your arm she'll just settle in and trill. From what I've read the breed is super sweet and docile and great for cold climates. I'm hoping to get more in the Spring when the fertility is better because I definitely want more of these guys.

I'm assuming DC would also be able to tell you about the import costs etc. They ship as well, but I'm not sure how that works across the border.

I hope that everything works out for you! Conservation is such a great thing to learn about when you're young.

K00Nmb8RVDhMFYTXwFWcNvY1ypYF-by0_4twot8CW9py0JF582wf5agIg5Tx2sSIXQNQiD1Z8QW7H4YwJsnVhs210IHCXLePhQ-iVvZCb04IZ96TZgwK_iaVtb3XLHH1lXtKpSgXrJcsN_VyphyfkEA2Iv6go-Dm6ciXhcBQ6vEmIVV4qqkr9gMDHmAMdTqHFxSgiptApqi9XGzLnzsI3qng2awlt1d2Eyq-g-M2D-on6L6z7nM_kOPbrs9e7mT4LrEcTENncV_R8oOHp5PyOKncY9nkVnOhoZoDEKFeM-NnlGQazKEwf5vXJKEuAkdvSFxDD5Vzw0LyrpGF-2-Lc0tnalz6dyRXBTypAy7c1QRcx6pYIpzh5NagD-o1Ce9Qn2DKNeZRaFq_pvE17SQmNKeP4rhxp54c0xuql6bZ3l-FD0uAfLba8LBN9RFUsxcwg3DmBLYE_i1ZS17BFTl5cWmudf4H17VsocMYRP89SpJ-uHD2P1x3TrQzgCqBZZ2kwN0cDiRWIDzC-xmJu6zpjboW4qkOSUAYMHyYdioN-R1SNd94K-w3CtgoiSs6cWrclcSVCoEadcyyLlnav95hQ3wptBCb19F-wj01PDGfMEpKfPNmzyaby7rg_nTZmqu7Ls0VwEnKLEofDxZJV9fF64X6BuU74EL57Olp9mjpjeoOZ93zXSh9t5U=w1324-h883-no

I saw them online and I've been considering driving across the border and finding out how much it costs to get 3-5 birds back through customs. I live in Michigan so Canada is just a couple hour drive depending on where I wanna cross at. Might be worth it since there seems to be demand in the states but no supply.
Do you have any info on breed standard at all?

Back
Top Bottom