ISO small Seramas (Class A) I think it is called)

ewok126

Songster
Aug 27, 2019
Tennesee
I currently have a flock of all pullets Bardrocks, Sapphire Gems and Rhode Island reds 2 of each.

I am wanting to add a Serama or two to the flock just because I think they are some awesome looking birds and I would love to spoil them. Now I will have to say I am very ignorant when it comes to such as I am new to all of this. I have no idea if I should happen to get a Serama rooster if it will breed with my normal size birds. I got the flock I have for the purpose of egg production for consumption only not for breeding. My wife would crap if she went to crack open an egg and a baby chick was inside. Second I would need chicks as I have no way of hatching eggs. I live in Memphis TN. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Chris Q.

Cyprus

Master of the 'never give up' attitude
Jan 19, 2018
My Coop
My Coop
Well chicks are straight run, so you'll get males.
No, a class A serama will not be able to breed large fowl hens and pullets. A class A Serama is about the size of a pop can. They should not be kept with large fowl chickens, they are so small they could easily be injured or killed.

Third, a fertile egg does not just all of a sudden produce a fully formed chick. You can't tell a fertile egg from a non fertile egg super easily like that, you have to actually look for the blastocyst.

Lastly, class A seramas can't be ranked by size until they are adults.

ewok126

Songster
Aug 27, 2019
Tennesee
Well chicks are straight run, so you'll get males.
No, a class A serama will not be able to breed large fowl hens and pullets. A class A Serama is about the size of a pop can. They should not be kept with large fowl chickens, they are so small they could easily be injured or killed.

Third, a fertile egg does not just all of a sudden produce a fully formed chick. You can't tell a fertile egg from a non fertile egg super easily like that, you have to actually look for the blastocyst.

Lastly, class A seramas can't be ranked by size until they are adults.
Thank you for all the information Cyprus. This was extremely helpful!

Top Bottom