Isolating 5 week aggressive chick

yttac16

Chirping
Jun 4, 2023
Hi everyone. I have seven 5 week old baby chicks a few different breeds and all unsexed. Yesterday one of the Ameraucana started to pluck one of the specked Sussex chicks. I'll post a photo of the damage. I thought the brooder was to small and have moved them to the coop which is 3x5 so lots of room and they have the heat lamp. Run to be finished in the next week. When I checked them this morning this one chick is still pecking at it. From what I've read I should isolate it.

My question is can I isolate it inside in the brooder or does it need to be able to see the other chicks? I don't want to have two heat sources outside. How long should I isolate it for? I'm new to chickens. Any advise is very much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0528.jpeg
    IMG_0528.jpeg
    799.8 KB · Views: 74
since I've put it into the brooder everyone else has calmed down and the plucked chick has come out of hiding.

This is the trouble maker. As I said in my original post 5 week old Ameraucana. I'm leaning towards cockerel but still early. Any thoughts on sex?

Attachments

• IMG_0537.jpeg
    IMG_0537.jpeg
    676.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0538.jpeg
    IMG_0538.jpeg
    659.1 KB · Views: 29
Isolate so that it can’t see the other chicks for about 5 days. When you introduce the chick back and if it goes right back to picking, put it back in isolation for another 5 days. And I do agree that it is a cockerel as that is a very developed and red comb at that age.

Isolate so that it can’t see the other chicks for about 5 days. When you introduce the chick back and if it goes right back to picking, put it back in isolation for another 5 days. And I do agree that it is a cockerel as that is a very developed and red comb at that age.
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if he should be in sight of the other chicks or not.

The comb is what has made me think cockerel. I have another who's looks the same

This is my other suspected cockerel. Also 5 weeks old

Attachments

• IMG_0569.jpeg
    IMG_0569.jpeg
    581.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0570.jpeg
    IMG_0570.jpeg
    605.5 KB · Views: 14
since I've put it into the brooder everyone else has calmed down and the plucked chick has come out of hiding.

This is the trouble maker. As I said in my original post 5 week old Ameraucana. I'm leaning towards cockerel but still early. Any thoughts on sex?
Maybe try filing or trimming the beak so it can't do so much damage. I had one that was a pullet but pecky and I trimmed her beak just a little (it has since grown back) and it did stop her once her pecks weren't getting a reaction.

Maybe try filing or trimming the beak so it can't do so much damage. I had one that was a pullet but pecky and I trimmed her beak just a little (it has since grown back) and it did stop her once her pecks weren't getting a reaction.
I'll keep this in mind if it continues to peck once reintroduced in a few days. Thanks for the suggestion

Back
Top Bottom