Isolating an injured chick, how hard is it on them to be alone?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cupman, Oct 5, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Title is self explanatory. I have a chick in my brooder who has a prolapsed vent. I have been reading about treatments but I'm waiting for someone to give me a hand, literally, holding the chick while I try to treat her condition. (the chick is 4 weeks old) I also figure two brains working on it is better than one. Well, that will probably happen either tomorrow or on Friday. I made a barrier out of hardware cloth so they can still see each other but the injured chick and the others can't mingle. I know they are a flock animal and like to be around their mates but it poses a big risk to the injured chick to have her with them.

So my question is, will the chick be okay since he can see his friends or will he just get sad he can't be around them? I'm kind of afraid to try anything medical on the bird when it's in bad spirits. Is there anything different I should be doing?

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Its a wise decision to isolate her as the others could peck it and cause infection. She's not completely alone if its just mesh separating them. You could try a soft toy or something in with her for something to huddle up to. [​IMG]
    Hope she gets better soon [​IMG]

3. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    I think it is good that you thought to separate her so she can see her flock mates. Maybe you can put a little stuffed animal (without anything she can peck off and potentially choke on.) in with her so she has something to snuggle with?

4. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

It'll be fine. It's good that he/she can see the rest of the chicks.

Good luck! I hope he/she will get better! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by