Issue with Neighbor's Dog - Mostly Venting

larkflying

Songster
8 Years
I'm so frustrated. The neighbor's dog just got loose and ran through our property today. Neighbor comes wandering over saying "I'm sorry the dog got out again." This is the same neighbor and the same dog that killed a chicken in February, after which we called animal control. Animal control called them, read them the dangerous animal procedures and explained to them they needed to keep the dog under immediate control. The neighbor did come over and apologize, and paid my son $20 for the dead chicken. My son didn't feel compensated but it was something. A month ago a mysterious something killed 5 banty chickens . . . left them lying all around the chicken tractor . . . so my guess is the same dog, but we weren't home and couldn't complain since we had no proof. Now we have a moveable electric fence, all the birds are inside the fence . . . but the dog is still on our property running around loose.

I explained to the neighbor that a) When we said we didn't want his dog over here, we meant WE DID NOT WANT HIS DOG ON OUR PROPERTY AT ALL.
b) I said the chickens, ducks, and geese were valuable and hard to replace.
c) The dog was out of control and had growled/rushed at myself and my kids and husband WHILE on our property, many many times.

To which he replied:

1. The dog is only out when he's home (so he deliberately lets the dog go loose?!)
2. How did we know that it was his dog that did it -- haven't we heard the coyotes? (We SAW the dog with the rooster in his mouth in February)
3. And haven't we heard those coyotes?

To which I responded AGAIN with all the above, AND stated that if he didn't keep his dog under control we were going to resort to calling animal control, using pellet rifles, or some other more permanent method of dealing with the issue because THE DOG NEEDED TO STAY OFF OUR PROPERTY. And I did point out that if the coyotes were eating our animals, we'd be shooting THEM . . . (or humanely trapping them?! We would be doing SOMETHING)

To which he walked off after saying, "Well I'm glad that we could deal with this civilly?" Not sure if he thought I was civil (I didn't yell, didn't swear, or call him an idiot so I felt like I was civil
smile.png
), or if he was making a snide comment. What is so hard to understand about wanting to keep your animals, children and property safe? It was like he thought it was no big deal if the birds were killed, and that there was no chance that the dog would hurt someone . . . But I've been around a lot of dogs and I know how she acted. I like dogs, and I love MY dog, but after all these problems dogs are not my favorite animals, which is sad. My kids are even nervous about them.

Anyone have good dog deterrents, or advice in dealing with clueless neighbors? I was tempted by the thought of getting a cassowary, since some thread on here said it took care of german shepherds, but they don't really seem practical
smile.png

We have a 4 ft high electric fence from Premier around the birds. Does anyone have experience with that or similar versus a dog? MY main hope is that she couldn't get out of the fence if she got in, so we'd have proof and more than proof . . .

The neighbors do watch for us to be gone, and THEN let the dog out without a leash, or at night when they think we won't notice, so it has to be something that will work without us around. I did see the thread about survelliance cameras so I'll check out those recommendations too. Couldn't come at a better time. I hate the whole situation -- don't like guns, don't like final endings to animals -- even coyotes, but I can't afford to replace my whole flock year after year. I'm pretty sure Washinton has the dogs messing with livestock can be shot by the landowner law, but never thought I'd seriously consider having to use it (or having my husband use it, which would be more likely).

What should I tell my kids to do if the dog is out and they see her? I've told them not to run, not to scream but to walk away slowly and come and get me asap . . . anything else? She is chained up 95% of the time -- it is the random 5% that scares me . . . and the clueless neighbors.

Sorry for venting -- just had to get it out of my system. I hope I haven't offended anyone!
smile.png
Suggestions are welcome, but I already feel better getting it out of my system . . .

The game camera is a good idea, for proof. Yet some people will look at pics of their dog and say, "Thats not my dog!"........ LOL!

Or tell the neighbor you have set traps for those "coyotes". Might make him a little more concerned about letting his dog loose...... or maybe not!

You should make it very clear you will attempt to shoot the dog next time it shows up.
As in, "Your dog has caused property damage here and it's behavior scares me and the kids. If you can't or won't control her, we will shoot her next time she's here. The law will back us on this."
Then you must back up your words and shoot it, otherwise he'll assume you're just talk, no action.

spot

Last edited:
Game cam for proof, more fencing for protection of your birds. Put it a few inches off the ground, up 6-8" inches above that, and another 8-12" above that. Keeps the dog from going over or under. You may need to consider fencing in your property if it continues to be a problem. I know, people keep saying "it isn't fair for me to fence MY property to keep someone else's animal out" but in the end, it's your responsibility to keep your property safe just as it is your neighbor's responsibility to keep their dog at home. After all, haven't you heard those coyotes?
smile.png

I think you've done all the talking you need to do. Animal control also told them to control their dog as well. Obviously they don't care.

Do this:
224294_731336858461_55007926_36340151_8257784_n.jpg

and get this:
HUNT0134.JPG

then follow the rules of the three S's

I so hate to hear of people being so ignorant...sorry you are having to go through this.I really think what the other posts have said about a camera and catching it in the act are good.Maybe the next time you could fire a "warning" shot and scare the owner into realizing you are serious. Good luck

You've already got an electric fence charger. Simply buy more wire and put electric fence all the way around your property. It's fairly inexpensive and dogs usually respect it very carefully.

No, it is no fair that the neighbor won't control his dog, but it isn't costing him anything to let it run. You are the one getting chickens killed and your children threatened. You are going to have to do something to deal with the threat.

A livestock guardian dog might fix the problem, but then you have to fence to keep your dog in. If you put up a fence, that already keeps the neighbor's dog out.

It's true that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so call animal control every time the dog is on your property. Be sure to mention that the dog is threatening your children. Animal control will get tired of hearing from you and they will finally do something. Sometimes you have to nag government officials into doing their job, because it is less work for them to do nothing.

You have the right to defend your livestock. If you can, I would add more fencing/wire. The game cam is also a great idea. Take pictures with a regular cam if you catch the dog, too. We had a different situation with what ended up being a bear taking our goats, and I can understand how frustrating it is. It has to be even more frustrating that your neighbors don't care enough to keep the dog on their property. Keep calling animal control every time you have an issue. With budget cutbacks they may take awhile to act, but they will eventually act if you keep calling.

Make the dog disappear.Whether that means a far away pound or under the soil-that is up to you. I would not waste time talking with the neighbor. Loose dogs disappear.

Back
Top Bottom