Issue with new duck

ShelbyCiave

Chirping
May 17, 2022
San Diego; CA
Hello all!

I haven’t posted in a while, but I have come across an issue that I need some advice on.

I currently have a Rouen Drake and 4 Blue Swedish hens. They are about a year old and get along great. Today I went to my local feed store and they had a lone 14 week old silver appleyard hen. I had to bring her home.

I first put her in a pen in the yard where the other ducks could see her, but not touch her. After a few hours, I took her out of the pen to get a closer introduction. My Drake chases her down to get her away from the rest of the flock. She tries to follow them and then he chases her away again.

I want her to be accepted so badly, but it’s breaking my heart to see her quack as she follows the flock only to be chased off shortly after.

Does anyone have advice as to how I should help her be accepted?

Thanks!

It's going to take more time than just a few hours. Maybe a few weeks, depending on the birds. Keep them in the see-no-touch arrangement until your other ducks start to come over and hang out. Do this for a few days, then try introducing them again.

Do they have a coop they sleep in at night? Place the new duck in a dog/cat cage inside the coop if you do. That way they also get used to her being there while they sleep.

Grats on the new addition, and try not to rush things. They'll come around in their own time. :)

awww, its going to take time and patience. they need more than one day to get used to each other through the fence. Its not good to put a young female in with an adult drake anyway until she is almost egg laying age (about 5.5 moths old)
Perhaps you can put one of your nicest hens in with her after a few days. see how it goes. then another one. Its going to be about 2 more months before she should be with the drake anyway.

It's going to take more time than just a few hours. Maybe a few weeks, depending on the birds. Keep them in the see-no-touch arrangement until your other ducks start to come over and hang out. Do this for a few days, then try introducing them again.

Do they have a coop they sleep in at night? Place the new duck in a dog/cat cage inside the coop if you do. That way they also get used to her being there while they sleep.

Grats on the new addition, and try not to rush things. They'll come around in their own time. :)
I know it’s going to take longer than a few hours or even a few days. My chickens and ducks free range on a little over an acre so I feel bad if she is alone. She is just kinda lingering around them quacking non stop. I’m surprised my Drake was the pest. I do have a section of the barn fenced off for her during the night. I’m wondering if it’s better to separate her and one female, or separate the Drake. Thanks for the response!

awww, its going to take time and patience. they need more than one day to get used to each other through the fence. Its not good to put a young female in with an adult drake anyway until she is almost egg laying age (about 5.5 moths old)
Perhaps you can put one of your nicest hens in with her after a few days. see how it goes. then another one. Its going to be about 2 more months before she should be with the drake anyway.
Do you think I should separate the Drake completely? I have a section of my barn blocked off for integrating new ducks, but they do not have a pen and free range on a little over an acre. I just don’t want her to be lonely and scared or the other ducks to be stressed. Thanks for the response!

Do you think I should separate the Drake completely? I have a section of my barn blocked off for integrating new ducks, but they do not have a pen and free range on a little over an acre. I just don’t want her to be lonely and scared or the other ducks to be stressed. Thanks for the response!
thats a good question. I'd like to tag @Miss Lydia and see what she says. I would probably do that (separate the drake) but Im like an anti-drake person anyway. I only have hen ducks because all the drakes I ever tried with them were jerks :(

thats a good question. I'd like to tag @Miss Lydia and see what she says. I would probably do that (separate the drake) but Im like an anti-drake person anyway. I only have hen ducks because all the drakes I ever tried with them were jerks :(
I have my main flock of the 1 Drake and 4 hens which is who I am trying to get this new girl to join. I have a mini flock of 3 that I hatched (all ended up as drakes 🤦🏻‍♀️) that I’m trying to rehome and they are about 16 weeks old. Finally, I have a duo which consists of 2 drakes that are repulsed by other ducks and choose to mount my potbelly pig.

I know I know! My ratio is off. But each group is in their own clique and never interact while free ranging. They have their own sleeping spots and everyone is drama free throughout the day. So this poor girl is singled out.

Since your new duck is just 14 weeks old I'd say she needs to be separated from the drake. Leave him with his females and start like @Jenbirdee says try one of your laid back females in with her she def doesn't need to be bred by your drake since she is young. Once you see your new duck and one female doing well together add another until all 4 are in with her. This will take time and give your new girl time to mature before adding the drake.

Since your new duck is just 14 weeks old I'd say she needs to be separated from the drake. Leave him with his females and start like @Jenbirdee says try one of your laid back females in with her she def doesn't need to be bred by your drake since she is young. Once you see your new duck and one female doing well together add another until all 4 are in with her. This will take time and give your new girl time to mature before adding the drake.
Thank you! I appreciate everyone’s advice. I’m going to try slowly integrating. She slept in her own pen last night with the existing flock still being able to see her as well as her being able to see them. Today I put her in the collapsible pen outside and the existing flock ended up napping pretty close by for a while. I will do this routine another day or two before adding a female in with her. But I definitely don’t want to push things too fast. I appreciate everyone’s help!

Back
Top Bottom