Issues adjusting to new coop

Ok. Good to know. Thankyou. The box is big in my granddaughters room but they jump out if it isnt covered. I will try them tomorrow night.
Have they been acclimated to cooler temperatures? That's really the ticket. Young birds that are regularly exposed to cooler temps (I brood outdoors) adjust to it naturally. Birds brooded indoors will need you to wean them off heat (they should be 100% off already), and ideally be gradually exposed to cooler temps. If your birds have not been outside yet, putting them out for gradually longer periods of time over several days can help them acclimate.

Can you make a list of ages/ breeds , the number of feeding stations and hiding places. ? Do they all get chick feed?
Btw a playful dog is a real risk for your chicks.

Have they been acclimated to cooler temperatures? That's really the ticket. Young birds that are regularly exposed to cooler temps (I brood outdoors) adjust to it naturally. Birds brooded indoors will need you to wean them off heat (they should be 100% off already), and ideally be gradually exposed to cooler temps. If your birds have not been outside yet, putting them out for gradually longer periods of time over several days can help them acclimate.
They were not under a light. On a heating pad ... The box was covered...the past week we have been putting them out in the morning and then bringing them in at night. For the most part my 4 hens aren't bothering them but occasionally Ill hear them really peeping which tells me Penny is bugging them. I dont think they even know where the roost is!!
Should I continue to do that longer before leaving them out all night?

They were not under a light. On a heating pad ... The box was covered...the past week we have been putting them out in the morning and then bringing them in at night. For the most part my 4 hens aren't bothering them but occasionally Ill hear them really peeping which tells me Penny is bugging them. I dont think they even know where the roost is!!
Ideally they should be separated from the older hens in the coop so they can get used to each other before you integrate them. You can make a safe place sectioned off with chicken wire (or aluminum screen or hardware cloth) so the older hens can see them but not hurt them. I've made mine with a door that is just large enough for the smaller chicks to enter but too small for the hens.

Ideally they should be separated from the older hens in the coop so they can get used to each other before you integrate them. You can make a safe place sectioned off with chicken wire (or aluminum screen or hardware cloth) so the older hens can see them but not hurt them. I've made mine with a door that is just large enough for the smaller chicks to enter but too small for the hens.
I locked my chicks in the safe place at night (I put a roost and food and water in there) until I could tell they could fend for themselves when they were with the larger hens during the day.

When you put them out in the morning are they mixed in with the hens, or are they in a separate area so the hens can see but not touch? I don't put chicks inside the coop until they're integrated with hens out in the run/run area, but that's not the only way to do it. StinkyAcres has good advice about splitting the coop for safety, if the chicks aren't integrated with adults yet.

The heating pad is not necessary at this age inside a house.

When you put them out in the morning are they mixed in with the hens, or are they in a separate area so the hens can see but not touch? I don't put chicks inside the coop until they're integrated with hens out in the run/run area, but that's not the only way to do it. StinkyAcres has good advice about splitting the coop for safety, if the chicks aren't integrated with adults yet.

The heating pad is not necessary at this age inside a house.
I agree about the heating pad and told my granddaughter to remove it.
The hens and chicks have been seperated but there were a few times, because sun was so warm and the weather was so nice that we put them in with the hens. Part of their area gets no sun this time of year and thats the only place to really seperate them. We just started putting them in with the 4 hens every day. Only one a RIR seems to be bothered a little by them. The chicks have multiple places to hide too. Everything is right outside my kitchen so we hear if there's too much chick peeping we rush out and usually its just one hen bugging them a little...they aren't getting hurt. If they get separated from each other only for a moment they freak out.
But I still keep a close eye on them. I will check Stinky Acres info too. Thanks for your advice!!

So far they aren't hurting them...they chase them until they get to a hiding place and it's usually one RIR. She isn't even boss hen! But they leave them be 95% if the time.

So far they aren't hurting them...they chase them until they get to a hiding place and it's usually one RIR. She isn't even boss hen! But they leave them be 95% if the time.
My chicks are up on the roost in the night coop with my 4 hens! The picture shows Mildred the Delaware white on the right side in the back and Tooter is right next to her.
The other pic is of them after we showed them the stairs and roost. They made themselves right at home! No more chicks in the 🏠!

Attachments

• 20221221_165536.jpg
    20221221_165536.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221221_161439.jpg
    20221221_161439.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom