Issues adjusting to new coop

Pics

HenriettaPizzaNolan

Raising Layers and Meat Birds in the City
Premium Feather Member
Apr 22, 2022
Northern Ohio
Hello. We used to have a crappy prefab coop, but just upgraded to a nice walk-in coop for our small flock. But right now, we're having a ton of issues. First, I'll summarize my flock and then I'll just list the problems. We have 2 adult hens. 1 RIR and 1 Barred Rock. The BR is the top of the pecking order, and the RIR has always been at the bottom, even when we had 4 hens. We got 2 chicks in September (Salmon Faverolles and Australorp) and they have been outside full-time with the other two hens for about 3 weeks now.

Now for the issues:
1. Everyone hates the nesting boxes. Idk if it's the design or what, but no one will use them. I have a few golf balls in there and just ordered some wooden eggs. The nest boxes in the old coop were very enclosed, whereas these are more like trays that are only a few inches deep. Could this be the issue?

2. A few days ago (and only a few days after getting the new coop) we took in a hen from someone who can't have chickens on their property and needs someone to keep the hen until the spring when they can move. I figured we have the space to why not. Well, both of my hens are intimidating her. She laid in the nesting box twice, and now she keeps trying to go behind the old coop to lay because I think she is afraid of being cornered in the new coop by my mean hens.

3. The 2 babies were sleeping on their mini roost I built for them the first few nights, but now they insist on sleeping in the nesting boxes. The temporary hen has also started sleeping there with them.

4. Just general nastiness/aggressiveness from my RIR and BR toward the babies and the temp hen.

If anyone has any suggestions for why these problems are happening, please let me know. It's causing me a lot of stress to see them walking around stressed not knowing where to lay. And also to see the babies and the temporary hen have to deal with the other two being so mean.

Attachments

• chicken-ga6d258293_640.jpg
    chicken-ga6d258293_640.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 131
Last edited by a moderator:
Walls in between may or may not be necessary... and they don't have to be full height either, maybe just a half wall "extension" would be enough to provide some privacy.

Suggestion for how to angle the top piece, use hinges to attach it to the window sill above, and then if you have all the side walls lower but at the same height (I have my sides cut to match the angle but it's not necessary for this), it'll naturally rest on top of them at an angle. This is assuming the piece of wood on top can be removed without too much work...

coop2.jpg
coop3.jpg

I like the other nest suggestions.

Another possibility is cardboard boxes. I use wooden crates on their sides but have seen pictures of the cardboard boxes.

Another possibility is leaning some sticks over the nests. Mine liked liked that better than their nests. It didn't take very many, just enough to feel sheltered.

These might be quick help until you figure something else out.

Attachments

• C2931288-E518-4A0B-B81F-1618D130D99C.jpeg
    C2931288-E518-4A0B-B81F-1618D130D99C.jpeg
    786.1 KB · Views: 7
Hello. We used to have a crappy prefab coop, but just upgraded to a nice walk-in coop for our small flock. But right now, we're having a ton of issues. First, I'll summarize my flock and then I'll just list the problems. We have 2 adult hens. 1 RIR and 1 Barred Rock. The BR is the top of the pecking order, and the RIR has always been at the bottom, even when we had 4 hens. We got 2 chicks in September (Salmon Faverolles and Australorp) and they have been outside full-time with the other two hens for about 3 weeks now.

Now for the issues:
1. Everyone hates the nesting boxes. Idk if it's the design or what, but no one will use them. I have a few golf balls in there and just ordered some wooden eggs. The nest boxes in the old coop were very enclosed, whereas these are more like trays that are only a few inches deep. Could this be the issue?

2. A few days ago (and only a few days after getting the new coop) we took in a hen from someone who can't have chickens on their property and needs someone to keep the hen until the spring when they can move. I figured we have the space to why not. Well, both of my hens are intimidating her. She laid in the nesting box twice, and now she keeps trying to go behind the old coop to lay because I think she is afraid of being cornered in the new coop by my mean hens.

3. The 2 babies were sleeping on their mini roost I built for them the first few nights, but now they insist on sleeping in the nesting boxes. The temporary hen has also started sleeping there with them.

4. Just general nastiness/aggressiveness from my RIR and BR toward the babies and the temp hen.

If anyone has any suggestions for why these problems are happening, please let me know. It's causing me a lot of stress to see them walking around stressed not knowing where to lay. And also to see the babies and the temporary hen have to deal with the other two being so mean.
Sounds like you just answered your own question. New coop, chickens do not like change. Different type of nesting boxes,? Chickens do not like change. Two youngsters, more change. And a new hen. more change.I put half my flock in part of the big run area and the other half in a smaller temporary coop. I also chose which hens will be with which rooster. Some of the girls seemed unhappy with my choice. For now all my really good layers; even the ones who lay way up into winter; are not laying. Maybe in a few weeks they will settle down and get accustomed to the new arrangements.

Are there any other tricks besides fake eggs I can try to get them to lay in their new nests?

The nest boxes in the old coop were very enclosed, whereas these are more like trays that are only a few inches deep. Could this be the issue?
Make the new nests more enclosed.

Tho the stress of the integration could also be part of all the problems you are having.

Dimensions and pics of your coop and run might help us make suggestions for improvements.

My nest box was open too (built by a friend). I added a small piece of plastic roofing at a diagonal so they can’t sit on it, and attached it with 2 pieces of wood on the sides. Once my girls start laying, I may add dividers to make it into 3 boxes since it is just 1 large one, but I don’t think many will lay before winter so going to wait until there is a big demand for the boxes lol.

1668869375244.jpeg

Sorry if I missed this, but how about stapling some cardboard to the tops and fronts of the nest boxes to make more privacy? They would have to allow about 8 inches width to enter but might still provide some sense of security, at least until things calm down so you can revisit things. I also have improvised nestboxes by using the drill and jigsaw to put 8x8 inch holes in those cheap 18 gallon plastic totes, putting them on the ground. You might even put just a piece of cardboard to give some privacy to the area below the row of nestboxes, that should look safe and inviting. I hope things calm down for you, I personally empathize with you having to deal with non-chicken life while having to deal with any chicken issues.

I still have my old coop. Would it be worth it to "start over" and keep the temporary chicken in that coop and run? Only reason I didn't do that to begin with is because my hens have already been trying to get into their old coop/run (it's locked).
Since the "temp hen" is just that, temporary, I would house her in the old set up, just to remove that extra complication. She will still be able to see the others I assume, so that will provide a sense of companionship during her stay, just without the pecking order issues.

Back
Top Bottom