Issues adjusting to new coop

Is there a size difference between your chicks and older hens?

And the new hen needs to be kept separate at roosting time to keep the peace.

Also you mentioned the breed of your new chicks. Those breeds are more docile than the ones you have. So you need to watch for bullying and bad behavior from your adults closely to avoid serious injuries.
Right now, the pullets/chicks are about half the size of the hens. So yes, size difference. But I've heard of other people integrating at 6-8 weeks old, so that's what I did.

And right now, the hens have been on the roost, the temp hen has been on the floor, and the pullets have been on their mini roost or in the nest box.

You're probably right about breeds. RIRs and BRs aren't known to be the friendliest. Meanwhile, my Faverolles and Australorp (I think she's an Australorp) are very gentle and sweet.
Since the "temp hen" is just that, temporary, I would house her in the old set up, just to remove that extra complication. She will still be able to see the others I assume, so that will provide a sense of companionship during her stay, just without the pecking order issues.
So it's okay if she is alone? She is staying until the spring. Maybe it would be okay because she is the only hen at her original home. I just worry about jealousy with the other hens seeing her in the old coop. My RIR was jumping up and trying to claw at the temp hen when I had her in the old coop/run the first day.

These are the nest boxes. Any suggestions to make my hens like them better?
signal-2022-11-18-12-33-54-152.jpg

Higher sides and fronts and a roof.
x2. Some plywood screwed into the existing sides to form separate "stalls" would be a start - top can be as simple as a sheet of plywood hinged and screwed onto the sill framing and lowered onto the top of the new sides.

So it's okay if she is alone? She is staying until the spring. Maybe it would be okay because she is the only hen at her original home.
Since she was alone before I have to assume she was already used to that (not ideal, but it's not your bird)

x2. Some plywood screwed into the existing sides to form separate "stalls" would be a start - top can be as simple as a sheet of plywood hinged and screwed onto the sill framing and lowered onto the top of the new sides.

Since she was alone before I have to assume she was already used to that (not ideal, but it's not your bird)
Thanks for specifics about the nesting box! I'm not THAT handy, so I really had no clue where to start. I guess I can just get some plywood on there and see how it goes.

Yesterday I put the temp bird in the old coop/run for the day. She did okay. But then at night I put her in the new coop. She doesn't really get bullied at night since the big girls are on the roost and she sleeps by the babies. This morning I was going to put her back in the old run, but I saw her sharing the fermented feed with my Barred Rock! ❤️ That seemed like a huge step in the right direction. The BR did give her a little peck after a while, but I've never even seen her let the temp chicken eat before. So I may keep the temp bird in with the others for a few hours before putting her in the other run. Maybe this could be a way to make her integration more gradual: she sleeps with them at night and spends the morning there, but then goes away for the day. Then I can gradually add more hours together.

Yesterday I also decided to keep the hens and babies in the run all day (no free range) to encourage them to lay in the coop. The RIR did lay her egg in the corner of the coop, but I found her eating it. :( But admittedly, this is my fault. They are getting chick feed because of the babies, and it has less calcium. I've had oyster shells out but they hate them and refuse to eat them. I usually crush up eggshells, but I was out. I checked out the recent BYC thread about getting chickens to eat OS, and someone suggested crushing the OS into smaller pieces with a hammer. I did this and I THINK I may have seen them eating it. Fingers crossed this works.

Man, I really have all kinds of problems right now!

My nest box was open too (built by a friend). I added a small piece of plastic roofing at a diagonal so they can’t sit on it, and attached it with 2 pieces of wood on the sides. Once my girls start laying, I may add dividers to make it into 3 boxes since it is just 1 large one, but I don’t think many will lay before winter so going to wait until there is a big demand for the boxes lol.

1668869375244.jpeg

My nest box was open too (built by a friend). I added a small piece of plastic roofing at a diagonal so they can’t sit on it, and attached it with 2 pieces of wood on the sides. Once my girls start laying, I may add dividers to make it into 3 boxes since it is just 1 large one, but I don’t think many will lay before winter so going to wait until there is a big demand for the boxes lol.

View attachment 3327462
Thanks for sharing that! I'll use it as an example. I think I'll do what you did, but maybe even enclose it a little more.

Back
Top Bottom