Issues adjusting to new coop

Walls in between may or may not be necessary... and they don't have to be full height either, maybe just a half wall "extension" would be enough to provide some privacy.

Suggestion for how to angle the top piece, use hinges to attach it to the window sill above, and then if you have all the side walls lower but at the same height (I have my sides cut to match the angle but it's not necessary for this), it'll naturally rest on top of them at an angle. This is assuming the piece of wood on top can be removed without too much work...

coop2.jpg
coop3.jpg

I think adding the walls in between will be worth it. You could add the curtain or a piece of wood on the front so the opening is 12 inch tall. You could temporarily nail a piece of cardboard or something at an angle on the top to deter them from perching there.
Those are good idea. I'll get to working on that.
What tools do you have and know how to use?
I have a power drill and a jigsaw. That's about it, really. And of course I know how to do more basic stuff like using hammer, nails, a level, and measuring tape. That's all the equipment I used for what I did so far.

Walls in between may or may not be necessary... and they don't have to be full height either, maybe just a half wall "extension" would be enough to provide some privacy.

Suggestion for how to angle the top piece, use hinges to attach it to the window sill above, and then if you have all the side walls lower but at the same height (I have my sides cut to match the angle but it's not necessary for this), it'll naturally rest on top of them at an angle. This is assuming the piece of wood on top can be removed without too much work...

View attachment 3333651View attachment 3333652
Thanks! That makes sense. I actually didn't screw the top board in yet, luckily. But I will have to readjust the boards it's resting on because I don't want the top board to be blocking the ventilation from the windows. I will see if I can find some hinges like in the picture.

Those are good idea. I'll get to working on that.

I have a power drill and a jigsaw. That's about it, really. And of course I know how to do more basic stuff like using hammer, nails, a level, and measuring tape. That's all the equipment I used for what I did so far.
Those tools should work. You got this! If you do the angled top you won't need a curtain.

Those tools should work. You got this! If you do the angled top you won't need a curtain.
Thanks so much! I'm kind of a slow worker so who knows when I'll be done, but I think this is a very doable project.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! I wouldn't have thought of this stuff on my own. I will post a picture when I am finished.

Are there any other tricks besides fake eggs I can try to get them to lay in their new nests?
When my hen has to lay (i'll notice when we do AM free range by her chatter & behavior), i walk over to the entrance to the hen house where nests are and call her over to tell her where to lay. They always will follow me and go lay, chatting the whole time. Mine have always laid in the nesting boxes tho. I read that roosters will tell the hens where to lay and they think i am their rooster and so they take my advice. I have no idea, lmao, thats just my thinking. Btw, my 5 hens will be 2 yrs old early May and 3 of them havnt laid an egg since August. I'm in CT and have no idea. Theres a molt happening here and there as well and I accredit the lack of eggs to that. I have no idea. It kills me to have to buy eggs thats for sure. I spend so much time and money on them. I am pleased they are healthy tho.

When my hen has to lay (i'll notice when we do AM free range by her chatter & behavior), i walk over to the entrance to the hen house where nests are and call her over to tell her where to lay. They always will follow me and go lay, chatting the whole time. Mine have always laid in the nesting boxes tho. I read that roosters will tell the hens where to lay and they think i am their rooster and so they take my advice. I have no idea, lmao, thats just my thinking. Btw, my 5 hens will be 2 yrs old early May and 3 of them havnt laid an egg since August. I'm in CT and have no idea. Theres a molt happening here and there as well and I accredit the lack of eggs to that. I have no idea. It kills me to have to buy eggs thats for sure. I spend so much time and money on them. I am pleased they are healthy tho.
Yeah unfortunately mine don't follow me into the coop. I have tried picking them up and placing them in the nests when they look ready to lay, but they jump down and go try to lay in the corner.

I'm sorry you're not getting many eggs. I was at that frustration point a few weeks ago when I posted this. Luckily, 2 of my hens have started laying in the coop (most of the time) now, but just not in the nests. The third one, I was worried that she was laying the eggs somewhere I couldn't find or eating them, but now I have noticed a lot more of her feathers lying around. Probably molt. But it's weird because she already went through a pretty good molt a month or two ago. I didn't know they could have a second wave like that. Or at least I HOPE it's just molt, and not some other issue.

Yeah unfortunately mine don't follow me into the coop. I have tried picking them up and placing them in the nests when they look ready to lay, but they jump down and go try to lay in the corner.

I'm sorry you're not getting many eggs. I was at that frustration point a few weeks ago when I posted this. Luckily, 2 of my hens have started laying in the coop (most of the time) now, but just not in the nests. The third one, I was worried that she was laying the eggs somewhere I couldn't find or eating them, but now I have noticed a lot more of her feathers lying around. Probably molt. But it's weird because she already went through a pretty good molt a month or two ago. I didn't know they could have a second wave like that. Or at least I HOPE it's just molt, and not some other issue.
I thought the same, like, i thought you already did the molt bit! Are they eating the dry oak leaves and it causes feather loss?! Now a days i simply observe behavior/poop and if those are normal I chalk it up to everyone doing well. The first molts scared me tho.

Hello. We used to have a crappy prefab coop, but just upgraded to a nice walk-in coop for our small flock. But right now, we're having a ton of issues. First, I'll summarize my flock and then I'll just list the problems. We have 2 adult hens. 1 RIR and 1 Barred Rock. The BR is the top of the pecking order, and the RIR has always been at the bottom, even when we had 4 hens. We got 2 chicks in September (Salmon Faverolles and Australorp) and they have been outside full-time with the other two hens for about 3 weeks now.

Now for the issues:
1. Everyone hates the nesting boxes. Idk if it's the design or what, but no one will use them. I have a few golf balls in there and just ordered some wooden eggs. The nest boxes in the old coop were very enclosed, whereas these are more like trays that are only a few inches deep. Could this be the issue?

2. A few days ago (and only a few days after getting the new coop) we took in a hen from someone who can't have chickens on their property and needs someone to keep the hen until the spring when they can move. I figured we have the space to why not. Well, both of my hens are intimidating her. She laid in the nesting box twice, and now she keeps trying to go behind the old coop to lay because I think she is afraid of being cornered in the new coop by my mean hens.

3. The 2 babies were sleeping on their mini roost I built for them the first few nights, but now they insist on sleeping in the nesting boxes. The temporary hen has also started sleeping there with them.

4. Just general nastiness/aggressiveness from my RIR and BR toward the babies and the temp hen.

If anyone has any suggestions for why these problems are happening, please let me know. It's causing me a lot of stress to see them walking around stressed not knowing where to lay. And also to see the babies and the temporary hen have to deal with the other two being so mean.
Sounds like you just answered your own question. New coop, chickens do not like change. Different type of nesting boxes,? Chickens do not like change. Two youngsters, more change. And a new hen. more change.I put half my flock in part of the big run area and the other half in a smaller temporary coop. I also chose which hens will be with which rooster. Some of the girls seemed unhappy with my choice. For now all my really good layers; even the ones who lay way up into winter; are not laying. Maybe in a few weeks they will settle down and get accustomed to the new arrangements.

Sorry if I missed this, but how about stapling some cardboard to the tops and fronts of the nest boxes to make more privacy? They would have to allow about 8 inches width to enter but might still provide some sense of security, at least until things calm down so you can revisit things. I also have improvised nestboxes by using the drill and jigsaw to put 8x8 inch holes in those cheap 18 gallon plastic totes, putting them on the ground. You might even put just a piece of cardboard to give some privacy to the area below the row of nestboxes, that should look safe and inviting. I hope things calm down for you, I personally empathize with you having to deal with non-chicken life while having to deal with any chicken issues.

Back
Top Bottom