Issues adjusting to new coop

I like the other nest suggestions.

Another possibility is cardboard boxes. I use wooden crates on their sides but have seen pictures of the cardboard boxes.

Another possibility is leaning some sticks over the nests. Mine liked liked that better than their nests. It didn't take very many, just enough to feel sheltered.

These might be quick help until you figure something else out.

Attachments

• C2931288-E518-4A0B-B81F-1618D130D99C.jpeg
    C2931288-E518-4A0B-B81F-1618D130D99C.jpeg
    786.1 KB · Views: 7
I like the other nest suggestions.

Another possibility is cardboard boxes. I use wooden crates on their sides but have seen pictures of the cardboard boxes.

Another possibility is leaning some sticks over the nests. Mine liked liked that better than their nests. It didn't take very many, just enough to feel sheltered.

These might be quick help until you figure something else out.
Oh I like this idea! Not sure if I could lean them like that, but if I got some plywood sides on the ends, maybe I could lay some sticks across to make it feel like a roof. Thank you for this! I don't really think I can get around to doing this until tomorrow and even then I don't have much time to work with. So this could be a good way to just get something up so they will start using it.

But also, update, the egg-eating issue is getting out of hand. They've been enclosed in the coop/run for almost 2 full days now and all I've seen is 1 partially-eaten shell. I usually get 1-2 eggs per day with my hens, and should be more like 2-3 now with the temp hen.

I think it's a low-calcium thing but I'm kind of at my wit's end with this. They REFUSE oyster shells. I am getting no eggs now so I can no longer crush up eggs shells and feed them back. I have a lot going on in my life that I don't really want to get into, and all this management with my flock right now is adding a lot of stress on top of that. I'm extremely frustrated.

I think it's a low-calcium thing but I'm kind of at my wit's end with this. They REFUSE oyster shells. I am getting no eggs now so I can no longer crush up eggs shells and feed them back. I have a lot going on in my life that I don't really want to get into, and all this management with my flock right now is adding a lot of stress on top of that. I'm extremely frustrated.
Since you have 2 or 3? laying adults you might want to get some calcium citrate tablets and just feed those directly to the birds. Minimal time commitment and guarantees they get a calcium boost.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/soft-damaged-eggs.1452762/#post-24179334

Alright so I FINALLY was able to make some adjustments to the nest box. I'm no craftsman, but what do you guys think of this? And those are wooden eggs btw. I just finished this so no one has attempted to lay yet. If you were a chicken, would you lay your egg here?
signal-2022-11-26-16-16-42-647.jpg

@rosemarythyme @aart @saysfaa

Disregard if I've tagged you and you did not previously comment about my nest boxes.

Last edited:
Alright so I FINALLY was able to make some adjustments to the nest box. I'm no craftsman, but what do you guys think of this? And those are wooden eggs btw. I just finished this so no one has attempted to lay yet. If you were a chicken, would you lay your egg here?View attachment 3333638
It's better but not ideal. Chickens like cozy and tighter nest boxes so walls in between the nests would make it more appealing. Also, the top is not angled so they will perch and poop on it and possibly sleep on it which you don't want. If your roosts are lower than the nest boxes then it will be more of a problem.

It's better but not ideal. Chickens like cozy and tighter nest boxes so walls in between the nests would make it more appealing. Also, the top is not angled so they will perch and poop on it and possibly sleep on it which you don't want. If your roosts are lower than the nest boxes then it will be more of a problem.
Omg all good points I did not think of at all!! Well, except for the walls in between. I figured I could add those later if they still don't like the boxes. To also make them more cozy, I was thinking of hanging a curtain or some type of fabric from the top piece of wood, about 1/3 way down. Would this be worth it?

I really have no clue how to angle the top piece. Wow, I really wasted many hours on this. I wonder if for the time being there's some other way I can make this unappealing for them to jump on...

Omg all good points I did not think of at all!! Well, except for the walls in between. I figured I could add those later if they still don't like the boxes. To also make them more cozy, I was thinking of hanging a curtain or some type of fabric from the top piece of wood, about 1/3 way down. Would this be worth it?

I really have no clue how to angle the top piece. Wow, I really wasted many hours on this. I wonder if for the time being there's some other way I can make this unappealing for them to jump on...
I think adding the walls in between will be worth it. You could add the curtain or a piece of wood on the front so the opening is 12 inch tall. You could temporarily nail a piece of cardboard or something at an angle on the top to deter them from perching there.

Back
Top Bottom