Issues adjusting to new coop

Higher sides and fronts and a roof.
x2. Some plywood screwed into the existing sides to form separate "stalls" would be a start - top can be as simple as a sheet of plywood hinged and screwed onto the sill framing and lowered onto the top of the new sides.

So it's okay if she is alone? She is staying until the spring. Maybe it would be okay because she is the only hen at her original home.
Since she was alone before I have to assume she was already used to that (not ideal, but it's not your bird)

Alright so I FINALLY was able to make some adjustments to the nest box. I'm no craftsman, but what do you guys think of this? And those are wooden eggs btw. I just finished this so no one has attempted to lay yet. If you were a chicken, would you lay your egg here?
signal-2022-11-26-16-16-42-647.jpg

@rosemarythyme @aart @saysfaa

Disregard if I've tagged you and you did not previously comment about my nest boxes.

Last edited:
Alright so I FINALLY was able to make some adjustments to the nest box. I'm no craftsman, but what do you guys think of this? And those are wooden eggs btw. I just finished this so no one has attempted to lay yet. If you were a chicken, would you lay your egg here?View attachment 3333638
It's better but not ideal. Chickens like cozy and tighter nest boxes so walls in between the nests would make it more appealing. Also, the top is not angled so they will perch and poop on it and possibly sleep on it which you don't want. If your roosts are lower than the nest boxes then it will be more of a problem.

Sorry if I missed this, but how about stapling some cardboard to the tops and fronts of the nest boxes to make more privacy? They would have to allow about 8 inches width to enter but might still provide some sense of security, at least until things calm down so you can revisit things. I also have improvised nestboxes by using the drill and jigsaw to put 8x8 inch holes in those cheap 18 gallon plastic totes, putting them on the ground. You might even put just a piece of cardboard to give some privacy to the area below the row of nestboxes, that should look safe and inviting. I hope things calm down for you, I personally empathize with you having to deal with non-chicken life while having to deal with any chicken issues.
Thank you. So I did get some hinges like an above user suggested. I think that will be the easiest way to set the top piece of wood at an angle. Unfortunately I haven't had the time yet to do it, but I hope by the end of the weekend I'll have it done. The cardboard is a good idea because I hadn't really thought of a good way to make dividers between each box. A piece of cardboard between each could be a great solution, even if it's only temporary.

Luckily, my flock has been getting along much better. The egg-eating has been at the minimum since I got some flaked oyster shell. They don't LOVE it, but they occasionally eat it, which gives me some eggs, which gives me some egg shells to feed back to them sometimes. They always eat those when offered. So, the remaining issue is making the nest box desirable to lay in. At least they are laying in the coop now. They lay under the box lol. They are getting close - and I am getting close with my construction. Almost there I think.

Is there a size difference between your chicks and older hens?

And the new hen needs to be kept separate at roosting time to keep the peace.

Also you mentioned the breed of your new chicks. Those breeds are more docile than the ones you have. So you need to watch for bullying and bad behavior from your adults closely to avoid serious injuries.

My nest box was open too (built by a friend). I added a small piece of plastic roofing at a diagonal so they can’t sit on it, and attached it with 2 pieces of wood on the sides. Once my girls start laying, I may add dividers to make it into 3 boxes since it is just 1 large one, but I don’t think many will lay before winter so going to wait until there is a big demand for the boxes lol.

View attachment 3327462
Thanks for sharing that! I'll use it as an example. I think I'll do what you did, but maybe even enclose it a little more.

I like the other nest suggestions.

Another possibility is cardboard boxes. I use wooden crates on their sides but have seen pictures of the cardboard boxes.

Another possibility is leaning some sticks over the nests. Mine liked liked that better than their nests. It didn't take very many, just enough to feel sheltered.

These might be quick help until you figure something else out.
Oh I like this idea! Not sure if I could lean them like that, but if I got some plywood sides on the ends, maybe I could lay some sticks across to make it feel like a roof. Thank you for this! I don't really think I can get around to doing this until tomorrow and even then I don't have much time to work with. So this could be a good way to just get something up so they will start using it.

But also, update, the egg-eating issue is getting out of hand. They've been enclosed in the coop/run for almost 2 full days now and all I've seen is 1 partially-eaten shell. I usually get 1-2 eggs per day with my hens, and should be more like 2-3 now with the temp hen.

I think it's a low-calcium thing but I'm kind of at my wit's end with this. They REFUSE oyster shells. I am getting no eggs now so I can no longer crush up eggs shells and feed them back. I have a lot going on in my life that I don't really want to get into, and all this management with my flock right now is adding a lot of stress on top of that. I'm extremely frustrated.

Back
Top Bottom