Issues adjusting to new coop

I think it's a low-calcium thing but I'm kind of at my wit's end with this. They REFUSE oyster shells. I am getting no eggs now so I can no longer crush up eggs shells and feed them back. I have a lot going on in my life that I don't really want to get into, and all this management with my flock right now is adding a lot of stress on top of that. I'm extremely frustrated.
Since you have 2 or 3? laying adults you might want to get some calcium citrate tablets and just feed those directly to the birds. Minimal time commitment and guarantees they get a calcium boost.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/soft-damaged-eggs.1452762/#post-24179334

It's better but not ideal. Chickens like cozy and tighter nest boxes so walls in between the nests would make it more appealing. Also, the top is not angled so they will perch and poop on it and possibly sleep on it which you don't want. If your roosts are lower than the nest boxes then it will be more of a problem.
Omg all good points I did not think of at all!! Well, except for the walls in between. I figured I could add those later if they still don't like the boxes. To also make them more cozy, I was thinking of hanging a curtain or some type of fabric from the top piece of wood, about 1/3 way down. Would this be worth it?

I really have no clue how to angle the top piece. Wow, I really wasted many hours on this. I wonder if for the time being there's some other way I can make this unappealing for them to jump on...

But also, update, the egg-eating issue is getting out of hand. They've been enclosed in the coop/run for almost 2 full days now and all I've seen is 1 partially-eaten shell. I usually get 1-2 eggs per day with my hens, and should be more like 2-3 now with the temp hen.

I think it's a low-calcium thing but I'm kind of at my wit's end with this. They REFUSE oyster shells. I am getting no eggs now so I can no longer crush up eggs shells and feed them back. I have a lot going on in my life that I don't really want to get into, and all this management with my flock right now is adding a lot of stress on top of that. I'm extremely frustrated.
Winter is coming on - I have 12 hens, 6 of which lay regularly - and right now I am lucky to get 1 egg a day.

As for the egg eating - I would suggest that is more likely a sign of stress than lack of calcium. Also you may think that they are not using the OS - but I bet you they are. They don't need gobs of it, a piece here and there.
Yeah unfortunately mine don't follow me into the coop. I have tried picking them up and placing them in the nests when they look ready to lay, but they jump down and go try to lay in the corner.

I'm sorry you're not getting many eggs. I was at that frustration point a few weeks ago when I posted this. Luckily, 2 of my hens have started laying in the coop (most of the time) now, but just not in the nests. The third one, I was worried that she was laying the eggs somewhere I couldn't find or eating them, but now I have noticed a lot more of her feathers lying around. Probably molt. But it's weird because she already went through a pretty good molt a month or two ago. I didn't know they could have a second wave like that. Or at least I HOPE it's just molt, and not some other issue.

This has been a strange year for moulting with my gang also - And I have a couple just now finishing moults. Luckily is hasn't been freezing cold!

But yes a combination of moulting and shorter daylight hours has resulted in my reduction in eggs. I don't care if they lay eggs, I enjoy their drama and chicken politics :) There is always something interesting happening between them all.

Also remember - in the chicken world pecking and chasing is normal, just as long as they are not going flat out running them into the ground and jumping on them tearing into them I would let them figure it out. It helps to have a lot of areas they can run and hide in, jump on, run behind. My kiddos have a whole barn to get away from others, hay bales to jump up on, stall doors to fly up on.

Think like a chicken... just spend time observing, watching.... you made a comment about 'wasted time doing something' - but that is how you learn about things, nothing is a waste of time if you LEARN from it :)

They are gregarious creatures, maybe put the youngsters with her...?

Also are you sure that the owner hasn't asked you to care for then hen but is actually looking for a new home? My cousin asked me to take care of her 3 hens when she moved 800km up north, with winter coming on she didn't want to worry about them. I found out later the 'can you take care of my chickens for the winter' was actually code for 'here - I am giving you three hens - enjoy, have fun!' - haha. They are awesome hens and cause me no grief what so ever so happy ending.

Try to giver her some friends with the youngsters, she might becomes their surrogate mum and make their own little band of chickies.
I knew this would be a possibility going into this, so that's why I made sure I was able to permanently take in an extra hen if they didn't pick her up. But after meeting them, and seeing how much they care by how often they check in and ask about her, I do think they will be back to get her in the spring. :)
Winter is coming on - I have 12 hens, 6 of which lay regularly - and right now I am lucky to get 1 egg a day.

As for the egg eating - I would suggest that is more likely a sign of stress than lack of calcium. Also you may think that they are not using the OS - but I bet you they are. They don't need gobs of it, a piece here and there.

This has been a strange year for moulting with my gang also - And I have a couple just now finishing moults. Luckily is hasn't been freezing cold!

But yes a combination of moulting and shorter daylight hours has resulted in my reduction in eggs. I don't care if they lay eggs, I enjoy their drama and chicken politics :) There is always something interesting happening between them all.

Also remember - in the chicken world pecking and chasing is normal, just as long as they are not going flat out running them into the ground and jumping on them tearing into them I would let them figure it out. It helps to have a lot of areas they can run and hide in, jump on, run behind. My kiddos have a whole barn to get away from others, hay bales to jump up on, stall doors to fly up on.

Think like a chicken... just spend time observing, watching.... you made a comment about 'wasted time doing something' - but that is how you learn about things, nothing is a waste of time if you LEARN from it :)
Thank you for the reassurance. It has been a learning experience. And that's a much better way to look at things.

I thought my Barred Rock was eating her eggs, but it turns out she is just in phase 2 of her molt! Her feathers are EVERYWHERE! At least they are pretty :) lol. And thanks for what you said about the oyster shells. I wasn't sure how much they actually had to be eating.

Thanks! Yes, shortly after this photo I found my Barred Rock sitting up there 😂 Like of course after all my hard work, Big Rhonda has to go and make me feel worthless lol. That's just her style!

But yeah, I know the slant isn't much. I wanted to do more, but while building it I realized that would require me to either make the opening shorter, or raise the board higher, which would block the window ventilation (I keep the bottoms of the windows cracked so I get good cross-ventilation with the opening on the other side of the coop. And they are locking windows, so only having it open a couple inches is still somewhat predator proof here in the city).

Thanks! I wish I could but so far I've been unable to find hay or straw locally. Even at TSC! I've seen signs in the country where people are selling it in the summer, but I never did buy any. Next year I will have to stock up.
Other nesting material like shavings, shredded paper, hemp, dry autumn leaves, dried grass clippings will do too.

Omg the temp hen (Demeter) also laid in the box!!! :celebrateThose are my two current layers since the BR is in molt. We're in business!!! Let's hope this becomes a habit. :)

I may lock them in the coop/run for the next few mornings until they lay, like I did today. Just so they don't get any ideas about laying anywhere else in the yard.

Wow, I had no idea this was a thing. So people who have all one breed don't have many behavior problems? I for some reason have trouble believing that, but I also have no experience with it since I have only had a mixed flock. What breed do you keep?
I have trouble believing that as well. My Easter Eggers pick on other Easter Eggers.

They were not under a light. On a heating pad ... The box was covered...the past week we have been putting them out in the morning and then bringing them in at night. For the most part my 4 hens aren't bothering them but occasionally Ill hear them really peeping which tells me Penny is bugging them. I dont think they even know where the roost is!!
Should I continue to do that longer before leaving them out all night?
Ideally they should be separated from the older hens in the coop so they can get used to each other before you integrate them. You can make a safe place sectioned off with chicken wire (or aluminum screen or hardware cloth) so the older hens can see them but not hurt them. I've made mine with a door that is just large enough for the smaller chicks to enter but too small for the hens.

So far they aren't hurting them...they chase them until they get to a hiding place and it's usually one RIR. She isn't even boss hen! But they leave them be 95% if the time.
My chicks are up on the roost in the night coop with my 4 hens! The picture shows Mildred the Delaware white on the right side in the back and Tooter is right next to her.
The other pic is of them after we showed them the stairs and roost. They made themselves right at home! No more chicks in the 🏠!

Attachments

• 20221221_165536.jpg
    20221221_165536.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221221_161439.jpg
    20221221_161439.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom