Issues breathing in almost 10 year old hen

Pics
Thank you all very much for your kind words. This has been extremely hard but Eddie did live a remarkable life. She traveled with me and even slept in hotel beds, she went to different parks and saw birds like peacocks, and she had Dev and me give her loads of love every minute she was alive. She was truly always there for me. Since I do enjoy writing, I have been thinking of making a little childrens book of Eddie’s life. Just something to remember her by since she was my adventure chicken.

She’s been cremated. I’ll forever be thankful for such a gift in my life. She gave me purpose in a really rough time in my life and instilled that love of animals in me, especially poultry. My goal is to become a veterinarian to help other hens and poultry. Eddie has had the biggest impact on my life and I will always hold her close.
Lovely pictures of a lovely hen.
I think a book would be wonderful, but even more wonderful would be that she inspires you to become a vet - what an amazing legacy for her.
:hugs

Thank you all very much, your words truly make my day :)

On another note, Eddie and Dev are my only remaining hens. I was always worried what would happen to Dev if Eddie passed first since Eddie was a momma's girl but Dev liked being independent from me and was only close to Eddie.

She has been lonely. I take her outside as much as I can but when I have to leave the house I know she is bored being alone. I can only work inside so I open the door and she comes in to be with me but she ends up sitting down and sleeping.

I don't thinking getting another hen will be the best solution. To be very honest, I am off to college in August and my chickens are mine so it would be very hard to get a young chick and raise her for 10 years.
I tried to bring some stuffed animals out to act as a friend but she just pecked them and went on with her life. I have two pets dogs but she does not have a strong relationship with them. I bring them out whenever I can supervise so she can have some animal bond but it is not a friendship like her and Eddie.

What else could I try? I play games with her using mealworms and other treats and throw them across the patio so she gets in a lot of movement and she dust bathes everyday but she is lonely without her friend.

Additionally she also has arthritis forming on her hocks. She usually makes creaky noises and stretches out her wings and legs when she gets up from sitting. So I would assume as a 7-8 year old hen that she doesn't want to move too much.
Do you have a safe enclosure so she could spend some time outdoors listening and seeing other birds? My 3 remaining hens are all 9 1/2 and very active. They enjoy scratching in their run and definitely listen to and respond to the calls/warnings of the wild birds. It definitely adds stimuli to their lives. They will even engage a squirrel on occasion 🙂

Many say that chickens are flock animals and should always have a bird companion. While this is generally best, parrots, cockatiels, etc are also flock animals, yet many are kept singly housed in a cage. There are many ways to keep a single bird from getting bored when their human(s) can't be present. If you look into parrot/bird toys, you will see tons of options. These include colorful wooden and rope toys, mirrors (birds love mirrors!), forager puzzle containers (which hold treats inside, but the bird must use their brain to get the treat. Make sure that any toy you give Dev is "bird-safe." I.e. coated with non-toxic paint, no dangerous parts that she could swallow, etc. Here are various bird toys offered by Chewy.
https://www.chewy.com/b/toys-970?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqcOH4dXj_AIVAhbUAR2kdA0FEAAYASAAEgJDC_D_BwE

Same as cabbages are hung by a rope to keep chickens entertained while penned on rainy/snowy days, you could suspend an apple portion or similiar small fruit/vegetable that Dev can peck at while you are away. Since she is an older hen, simply turning on the radio for her to listen to while you are away may provide ample stimulation. Birds love listening to music, as long as it is fairly peaceful and serene.
https://careforbirds.com/2022/05/03/【do-my-birds-love-music】/

Thank you all so much for your advice and comments. I thought today was a fitting day to respond since it has been a whole month without Eddie.
Thankfully when she was cremated they put some of her ashes in a beautiful necklace of a flying dove so I have her with me forever. It's been a very big struggle for me still, I can't say I didn't cry today but at least Dev is with me and I believe that Eddie is back to walking and goofing off with her other hens in heaven.

Dev has been struggling massively with the loss. Not just mentally but physically. Dev has developed horrible arthritis in the last month. Just a month ago she never had any issues walking but now I will take her outside and after 5 minutes she just plops down and doesn't want to move. Her legs creak, especially her right leg. She has even started to accidentally step on her own toes when she walks, she is still able to perch so her toes are not completely useless but she does not seem to care if she accidentally steps on her own toes. She has also developed some odd bumps on her face. Overall, the loss of Eddie has really taken its toll on her. She is 7-8 years old. She also seems to be over preening. I did bring out a mirror though and Dev seems to love it! I was skeptical yesterday since she walked behind the mirror and I was certain she knew it was just her own reflection but today she has looked in the mirror and has started to squawk super loudly and continue to look at the mirror twice today. I have also taken to cleaning out her old coop and I removed some old sand, sprayed some non chemical products but am hoping to spray permethrin in the next day or two now. I am trying to figure out dosing. It's for a gallon but the biggest thing I have is a spray bottle that is 190 mL so I am going to have to do some math later, unless anyone can help with that.
She is also getting epsom soaks for her feet everyday to help with arthritis or gout which is a possibility. She is also enjoying spending more time with me. She has lost some weight but I am making sure she is eating enough daily. Oh! And she has been loving going in her backpack. I have a dog backpack that used to be Eddie's favorite when she traveled with us so now Dev is using it and we go on long walks to different neighborhoods/parks in the evening and she has even seen an owl in the tree!

I am hopeful that Dev will fully adapt to being a single hen, especially with all of the things I am doing with her.

What a wonderful way to memorialize Eddie in your necklace. You are doing wonderful things for Dev and I am sure she appreciates it. The epsom salt baths are a great idea and I had to chuckle when she squawked at her own reflection! Keep up the great work- glad to hear Dev likes the long walks too!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom