Issues with PVC pipe injuring flock

The elbow is in upside down, for the normal no waste feeders. I can see a hen or roo getting hurt using it that way.
How big is the elbow? Roosters can hurt their comb on the PVC, if it's less than 4 inches, even when installed pointing down, look at him closely.

View attachment 1675817

Upside down? If the opening pointed down, rather than tipping up, how could they get into it to eat? It’s 4” PVC.

Chickens stick their head inside and peck at the bottom of the bucket. There is also minimal waste if any. There is a lot of feed on the ground at your feeder. Installing them pointing down stops this. It looks like your using 45 or 90 degree elbows. You could try adding a short piece of PVC to extend your opening, this should help with the spillage and with them hitting their comb.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...lon-25-feed-bucket-feeder-for-about-3.834227/

I think mine were for the 4" pipes. I had that issue with a barred rock rooster. Determined it was minor frost bite on two points of its comb. Switched back to old hanging feeder for a couple of weeks until it looked like he healed. Didn't have any more issues.

Back
Top Bottom