It’s a bit early, but just for fun!

My chicks are just over 4 weeks old!

welsummer, sexed female at Meyer Hatchery but I’m starting to be suspicious of that comb. She and top (confirmed by Meyer) roo like to hang out on the edge of the brooder together. They’re best friends.
View attachment 2849894
View attachment 2849896
View attachment 2849900

Blue Buff Columbian Orpington covered by Opal Legbar, hatched by yours truly. Really hoping this one is a hen, I love her! She doesn’t love me back yet though, lol!
View attachment 2849905
View attachment 2849906

Ayam Cemani (blue band); caught fighting one of my confirmed roos from Meyer today. Got this one as a gift from a coworker. The coworker says they are pure, but they have very small combs:
View attachment 2849909
View attachment 2849913

these 3 I have the best pictures of, but I’ll grab the rest tomorrow!

sorry, I know it’s early to tell but I am just so excited, these are my first chickens!
The Ayam Cemani is not pure. It should have a single comb. It is a cockerel.
The Welsummer is a cockerel.

It has a pea comb. And it’s a very LARGE pea comb.
It’s a boy.
Thank you! I’ll try to catch my other one to get a picture. I suspect male as well, though it’s legs are thinner and it hangs out more with the hens and seems very docile compared to the other Ayam Cemani. I reached out to the coworker and they said they got the Ayam Cemanis as a gift from Indonesian family members, who gave them his line specifically because they ended up with pea combs and would do great in the north. Not sure how accurate that is, or how they made the pea combs (which cross) but an interesting story nonetheless!

Here’s my other little Ayam Cemani x! This one is very sweet and shy. Took me a long time to catch! Mostly hangs out with the hens and has skinnier legs than the other Ayam Cemani. You can’t see it’s comb from the side, unlike the other.

5DD7C7A6-B92F-414D-A05B-03DD0FF427A3.jpeg

CCCFF84D-5FC0-4FA0-B6AF-375D03111220.jpeg

AF3FB690-ED1C-4004-9913-84B1FB79A318.jpeg

35DFE1EE-282C-4151-B0B1-424A6407DFAF.jpeg

@TheOddOneOut I call upon your expertise!!

Last edited:
70EBBF01-B556-433F-99DD-EF7975DF1C0A.jpeg

The birds are 6 weeks now! I’d love to know if anyone has an updated guess on this chicken!

and this BLRW. This chick is really behind developmentally, but all my BLRW died because they all came out super weak and runt like and refused to grow. I’m not sure if I have a lot of hope for this one, but it has always been doing miles better than it’s siblings. None of them ever got any adult feathers.

C6FAC75F-BF1B-41B1-887C-32AACF2BC4EA.jpeg

View attachment 2866205
The birds are 6 weeks now! I’d love to know if anyone has an updated guess on this chicken!

and this BLRW. This chick is really behind developmentally, but all my BLRW died because they all came out super weak and runt like and refused to grow. I’m not sure if I have a lot of hope for this one, but it has always been doing miles better than it’s siblings. None of them ever got any adult feathers.

View attachment 2866206
Interesting...
Okay, the above chick looks like and Olive Egger pullet.
I can't tell on the BLRW

Interesting...
Okay, the above chick looks like and Olive Egger pullet.
I can't tell on the BLRW
I thought pullet for the olive egger and cockerel for the BLRW but I think he/she just needs more time. They’ve only just started to catch up in size and energy to the rest of the flock so I think they’ll feather and show super late.

Back
Top Bottom