It’s happening again

I buy antibiotics annually (check expiration dates) at my feed store. It's my understanding that many antibiotics are available through Amazon in the States. I store them in a sealed jar, and store that in my animal first aid kit (a rubbermaid tote). The tote itself ensures that the contents are not exposed to direct sunlight which can damage the medicines. I always have a couple different types of antibiotics on hand but what is available changes year to year (I live in a third-world nation, Panama); Enroflox (Baytril) is almost always available. Their first aid kit also contains two different types of wormer, amprolium for cocci, sports tape for injuries, non-stick gauze pads, a bag of cotton balls, a jumbo box of q-tips, iodine, blu-kote spray, a plastic container with a tight fitting lid to store a few pounds of epsom salt, a tube of k-y jelly, a box of nitrile disposable gloves, individually wrapped one-use scalpels, blood-stop (powder to do just that, stops external wounds from bleeding), a couple of tubes of super glue, a pair of sharp kitchen scissors (used mostly to trim fluffy butts, but also to effortlessly cut that sport tape that I mentioned), a feather duster (to comfort just hatched chicks before the rest of their clutch hatches), liquid and powdered vitamin/mineral supplements & enrovet, individually wrapped syringes to administer vaccinations or some types of antibiotics, and vacuum sealed jars of flaked fish food (incredibly high in protein that I use with a sick bird to boost their protein intake dramatically; was the best quick protein supplement I could get here, and I try to pack as much nutrition as I can in as little volume as possible with a sick bird). I'm sure there's other stuff in their kit as well, but I'd have to unpack the box full of boxes, full of stuff for my feathered family to give a full accounting ;p
I'm sure that my first aid kit sounds like overkill but I don't drive and I live out in the countryside. For me to get to the store to buy these supplies requires me to either catch a bus or call a cab, and depends upon the store actually having what I need in stock (often, that is not the case). Sometimes, time is of the essence with a sick or injured bird. I prefer to be prepared for a bad situation than be sorry for a lack of forethought.

Nugget my sweet 9 month old Golden Comet..
Laid an egg yesterday morning by 7am.. by that afternoon (1pm) she was acting like she was trying to lay a second egg
once outside, she started barely walking (waddling) again. I put her in the coop and let the other chickens out.She went straight to the nesting box..3 hours later nothing.
she is still laying down not moving and still nothing.
Thank you some how I believe I have a duplicate post and not sure how that happened 😖..

she is 9 months, she started laying at 17 weeks, not to early for a golden comet.. but up until 2 months ago we would get a double yoke egg 2 days in a row then a single.. she has laid soft shell before.. but seems to be struggling since one caused a vent prolaps (no prolapse has happened again) she has actually laid 3 in a day before (1 hard and 2 soft) but never struggled this bad..

where do I find antibiotics?
Did the egg rupture inside her oviduct or did she expel it whole?
If whole, then I'm not sure if antibiotics would be any help in your situation.

You have a production pullet that is having difficulties with laying more than one egg in a day. This is a reproductive issue, not an infection that an antibiotic will treat.
I would try to get some Calcium with D3 as suggested on one of your other threads(linked below) and see if that helps. It's hard to know exactly what's going on with her, could be a genetic defect, shell gland disorder, etc. Since you are able to recognize symptoms, then pop her with Calcium when she's having difficulty and make sure she's staying hydrated. Soaking like you are doing might help if it does not stress her too much.

Fwiw - antibiotics are no available on Amazon. You can order them online at pigeon or avian supply stores, but you do need to know what you are wanting to treat. A broad spectrum antibiotic like Amoxicillin would probably be fine to keep on hand. Baytril is a very good antibiotic but it is banned for use in poultry in the US, so do your research and find medication that you are comfortable administering to your birds if necessary.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/nugget-my-golden-comet-laid-3-eggs-today.1438052/

Did the egg rupture inside her oviduct or did she expel it whole?

I would try to get some Calcium with D3 as suggested on one of your other threads(linked below) and see if that helps. Soaking like you are doing might help if it does not stress her too much.

1. her egg stayed whole but this is the hardest she has struggled(usually it is only a couple of hours not days)
2. She doesn’t mind a soak at all she is more stressed to take a tablet

Going by to get the calcium d3 now.. any tips on giving it to her easier..
I will go back to the old post to see if it told me how long to do it..
thanks again wyorp rock

I buy antibiotics annually (check expiration dates) at my feed store. It's my understanding that many antibiotics are available through Amazon in the States. I store them in a sealed jar, and store that in my animal first aid kit (a rubbermaid tote). The tote itself ensures that the contents are not exposed to direct sunlight which can damage the medicines. I always have a couple different types of antibiotics on hand but what is available changes year to year (I live in a third-world nation, Panama); Enroflox (Baytril) is almost always available. Their first aid kit also contains two different types of wormer, amprolium for cocci, sports tape for injuries, non-stick gauze pads, a bag of cotton balls, a jumbo box of q-tips, iodine, blu-kote spray, a plastic container with a tight fitting lid to store a few pounds of epsom salt, a tube of k-y jelly, a box of nitrile disposable gloves, individually wrapped one-use scalpels, blood-stop (powder to do just that, stops external wounds from bleeding), a couple of tubes of super glue, a pair of sharp kitchen scissors (used mostly to trim fluffy butts, but also to effortlessly cut that sport tape that I mentioned), a feather duster (to comfort just hatched chicks before the rest of their clutch hatches), liquid and powdered vitamin/mineral supplements & enrovet, individually wrapped syringes to administer vaccinations or some types of antibiotics, and vacuum sealed jars of flaked fish food (incredibly high in protein that I use with a sick bird to boost their protein intake dramatically; was the best quick protein supplement I could get here, and I try to pack as much nutrition as I can in as little volume as possible with a sick bird). I'm sure there's other stuff in their kit as well, but I'd have to unpack the box full of boxes, full of stuff for my feathered family to give a full accounting ;p
I'm sure that my first aid kit sounds like overkill but I don't drive and I live out in the countryside. For me to get to the store to buy these supplies requires me to either catch a bus or call a cab, and depends upon the store actually having what I need in stock (often, that is not the case). Sometimes, time is of the essence with a sick or injured bird. I prefer to be prepared for a bad situation than be sorry for a lack of forethought.
Wow, in that case yes I would keep a lot on hand also.. thanks for your reply.

1. her egg stayed whole but this is the hardest she has struggled(usually it is only a couple of hours not days)
2. She doesn’t mind a soak at all she is more stressed to take a tablet

Going by to get the calcium d3 now.. any tips on giving it to her easier..
I will go back to the old post to see if it told me how long to do it..
thanks again wyorp rock
I would give the Calcium for 3-5 days. You can overdo Calcium.
I usually just pop the tablet inside their beak and they swallow it, but if you are having problems getting it into her you can take her aside every day and give her a treat with the crushed Calcium mixed in.

Back
Top Bottom