It amazes me how smart baby chicks are.

ridgefire

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
Northern Michigan
When most people think of chickens they think they are not very bright.

This is my 2nd day with the chicks. They have learned what to do when the cat jumps on the brooder. I taped a piece of cardboard on the lid so the cat cant reach through and possibly snag one. As soon as they hear the cat jump onto the table next to the brooder they run for the corner under the cardboard. But yet when I walk up to the brooder and tap on it they dont move, they just keep doing what ever they were doing. Maybe its not really smarts but hey they are my babies so like any other parent I think mine are the biggest, brightest, cuties ever.

My mom keeps telling me that chickens are the dumbest animal there is. She says that when god was handing out brains, the chickens were too busy scratching in the dirt.
gig.gif

I told her that chickens are smart, they have their own personalities, she didn't believe me till I let my 4 week old EEs out in the backyard. She said they are not that bad, and she even thinks they are cute. Her boyfriend had to tell her that they aren't getting chickens unless they move to the country.
yippiechickie.gif

I agree. Mine have only been here since yesterday morning and not only are they smart, but they do have their own little personalities. Out of all my chicks, I was less enthused about the light brahmas, thinking they weren't quite as pretty as all the others. But it's my light brahmas that seem to be the most intune with their enviroment and they stare at me while I'm staring at them.
big_smile.png

All right now the little turds figured out how to pull the paper towel back in the corners to get to the pine shavings.
barnie.gif

I wasnt ready for them to be on it yet. My tractor supply was out of pine, so I had to buy from my local pet store, all they had was pine bedding, now that its out of the bag, its smaller than I would like for them. They keep pecking it, I dont know if they are eating any.

Back
Top Bottom