1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It can't be this easy...7 week old Silkies(dial-up beware)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GockeyEgg, Apr 17, 2008.

1. GockeyEgg

GockeyEgg Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2008
    PA
    I really don't think this is going to be as easy as I am fooled into thinking this is right now. It can't be. I've heard how difficult it is to sex silkies until they either lay an egg or crow. I've noticed some big differences in the 5 I have though. Tell me what you think.

1. Grey Silkie named Pasty-my guess, Roo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Grey Silkie named Fly-my guess, Pullet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Red Silkie, no name yet-my guess, Roo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Red Silkie, no name yet-my guess, Pullet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Black Silkie named Elf-my guess, Pullet
    [​IMG]

2. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Wow, there sure is a major difference in some of their combs and wattles!! They aren't red for the most part, but are very obvious on the ones you think are roos.

They are truly beautiful chickens tho, whatever sex they are!!

3. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I confer with you on the guesses. Mine looked exactly like that at that age.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think your guesses are good. It's often the hardest on birds bred for big big crests and dark dark skin. Lighter skined silkies and small crested ones you can usually see the reddening just like other birds. The ones who keep the mulberry conformation... harder, much harder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by