It does help to talk to your chickies !

EM Squared Farms

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 15, 2011
Ft. Pierce, FL
I was so flattered when a lost chicken responded to my voice. My son had quarantined a small young golden sebright pullet with an eye problem and she escaped out of her pen (went to the vet today - she has fowl pox on eyelid - try treating with eye ointment). He was heart broken and spent the day looking for her. We didn't have much hope with the lawn being mowed that day and the dog and 3 cats running around, but near evening I called out to her, "Here little chickie, chickie !" And she actually replied by making soft chicken noises. I was very excited and I kept calling out to her until we located her, safe and sound in a banana tree cluster with tall grass and weeds. The next morning she was missing again. Probably not a good idea to put her back in the pen she escaped from. This time I called out and called out, no answer. After morning chores were done, I called out one more time. And she answered again with soft little chicken noises. She was on the back pool patio behind the grill. So we moved her inside to one of the chickie rearing bins (plastic bin with hay). She must be feeling better since she flew out of the bin onto the chair ! We now have a piece of plastic eggcrate over the top to keep her in.

I was thinking about how she knows my voice ? I only go out once a day to give them grass as a treat and they make those happy chicken noises in response.
Then I remembered, they must know me from when I used to talk to them as little chickies. We kept them in the house for a couple of weeks and I did raise them for the first couple of months.

I would tell them how cute they are and talk to them about what they are doing. I guess I just talk to them whenever I'm near them. Ask them how they're doing, or what they're doing, etc.

Both my husband and sons were surprised that she answers me when I call out to her. So, if you don't mind people calling you crazy, do spend the time to talk to your chickens. I think getting them to learn to recognize your voice will be beneficial when your chicken is lost. That way, when you call for them, they will respond if you take the time to listen for their reply. It helped us out twice to save a show quality pullet (the only one so far with very good traits).

Love it! So glad you found her both times.
thumbsup.gif

I also agree! Every Time I take them treats, check on them or go to put them in bed for the night iI call, "Here Birds" the tom gobbles, ducks quack and they all come running! I love it!
hmm.png

I love talking to my animals, my 15 yr old asked me once why i talk to the chickens. I told her..."they dont talk back"! Well they do but i dont understand lol! My roo will come over and cock his head like he is listening! (Im sure he is thinking - how do i get those shiny metal things off her ears lol!).
smile.png

My husband is keeping a very arms length relationship with my 8 3 month-old chickens...sort of a reluctant non-participant. I got a big kick a few weeks ago when I had allowed the chickens out to free range while I was doing some yard work (we have 18 acres that is adjacent to National Forrest, so theoretically a loose chicken could range very far away). My husband came home from a business trip and expressed some concern that they might wander off. I called "Chickens! Chickens! Come see Daddy!" (in the same voice as I use to call them when I have treats) and they came running and flapping. Hubby's face was so funny. I don't think he knew whether to be pleased or disgusted that they come when called and just harrumphed into the house with his suitcases.
lol.png

Not only do I talk to my chickens, ducks and geese (and dogs and cat) but I use their names when I speak to them. I often have a group of 'em walking with me when I do chores or just wander my property.

I know my dominant roo and several other birds know their names. The rest, well, probably not. But I still talk to them and use their names.

When I stop walking, they gather around, casually, not like they are electing treats (I deliberately give them treats in only one area by the coop), but as if they are waiting to see where I might choose to walk next. If I sit down, they mill about a while, then wander off on their own treks. Whenever I am visited on the veranda by members of the flock, I speak to them, welcoming them, and sometimes they stop for a while and settle down to keep me company.

I chatter to them, they bok back to me.

It IS easier to find a "missing" chicken who has wandered off, if they are used to "talking" with you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom