It finally happened (long rant, sorry)

Quote:
To me it would be...if the lady has been cited previously about the dogs. Yep you betcha. And the fact that the lady did not have the kohonas to knock on the door and tell someone...she left a dead chicken there for her or her kids to find? Oh yea bye bye doggie.

I am so sorry you lost your girl (s). I just shot a neighbor's dog two nights ago...digging into my run.

To give you an idea of why I did what I did and why in your shoes I would shoot that dog...simple. They keep coming back. If the owner will not restrain the beast and keep it at home...it is not the responsiblity of everyone else to take care of her animal.

This one in my yard was a large mastiff mix...I have chased it away, talked to the owners down the road several times and asked them to keep it home OR else.

Well I hear my rooster going off about 7pm and I go out with gun and light to see what is bothering them...there he is digging under the chainlink..he had mangled the chicken wire stretching under the run.

I yelled at him to get him to shoo and no he turns, lowers his head and snarls. I shot him. I am not having someone's dog snarl at me on my property.

I drug his 125 lb butt back home, knocked on the neighbor's door and get this...guy comes to the door and says "yeah"

I do not believe in pussyfooting around so I said "Your dog was trying to get into my chicken run and I have asked you to keep him home...now I have killed him" The man looks at me, looks down at the dead dog and says "Toss him over there by the dumpster" and slams the flipping door.

So, he was obviously concerned about his dog, where it was and what happened to it. People like that just need a boot in the butt.

Last edited:
Quote:
Some people like to have dogs just to say that they own one, some like the big dogs because it does something for their [the owners] image. Neither one should be allowed dogs. Dogs need responsible owners and someone who can stand up to the position of pack leader. Its not a position to be taken lightly. This person obviously didn't care about his dog and thats too bad.

Your neighbors obviously have no respect for their dog or their neighbors and their pets, they've been warned...shoot the dog and drop it on their doorstep. If they complain, the law is on your side, they won't have a leg to stand on. Keep the camera and .22 handy.

WOW some ppl! That is truely sad he didn't care even a little bit about his dog. I have 4 and love them all well now I have 5 lol im bottle feeding a mastiff myself. But all mine are kept contained . WE had an incident where some kids came on the back side of our fence(older fence) and one of mine jumped and bit the a littel girl... we felt soo bad. But found out she was poking a stick through the fence at him. I went through the WHOLE nierborhood and told every one what happened and to keep thier kids off my property We didn't have to put him down becuase it was his first affence .He has never once hurt anyone of our kids or anyone else. That following weekend we spend 2000 and installed 6ft chain link fence to prevent it from ever happening again.That is what responsible owner does with thier animals. I wonder if masiffs are prown to being like that cause my nierbors dog im having problems with is part mastiff I bet it mainly how you raise them. I feel soo bad reading all these post about ppl chickens dieing cause of dogs. I dont think anyone ever wants to have to shoot an animal but I totally understand we have to do what we have to do.

Well now this has been another informative post. I thought I had counted the cost of having chickens. This is my first time here. I caught my neighbor in my yard looking for her dog that has charged after me and stopped when she yelled.Well this could get long but now I'm wondering if I should have considered their dog before getting involved w/ chickens. I have cats and so has she but the dog doesn't bother the cats. I've already spoken to them about the dog and concerns for when my granddaughters visit. I have a headache.

Hi,

This happened to me & my chicens one day. The dog down the road came to visit and killed 6 of my chickens. I didn't hear a thing but when I went out, he was still in the pen with them.

I caught the dog, put it in a stall, got the name of the owners off the tag, called them, and told them I had their dog, then went down to talk to them.

They wanted to know what they could do to repay me for my chickens. I am so sick of dogs getting in and killing my chickens, and then the owners pay me for the chickens, and they do nothing about keeping their dogs tied or confined.

So, this time I had enough, and when I went and told them they could come get their dog the next day, AND while they were at my place, they could bury the dead chickens.

LOL - The look on their faces was so funny! It was all I could do to keep from busting out laughing, but I wasn't going to give an inch.

So, the next morning they (husband and wife) showed up, I handed the shovels to them, directed them to the chicken yard, where the dead chickens were, and then directed them to pick up those dead chickens and take them to the garden and bury them. Then, and only then, they could get their dog back.

I went in the house and watched them bury those chickens and laughed the whole time. They did bury them, and they got their dog and left.

I NEVER SAW THAT DOG up my way AGAIN!!! LOL I drove by their house, and they had a barricade up that a bear couldn't have gotten through.

The word got out that I was one mean lady and not to let your dog go to her house!

I LOVED IT! Didn't have dog problems for a couple years, until new people moved in, and by then I had secured the fencing and made the pen dog-proof!

I think it comes down to mathematics. Dogs are genetically engineered decendants of wolves, hyneas, coyotes,etc. There is no such thing in the evolutionary tree as "domesticated dog". Most of our chicken breeds are the same way. Humans need about 5 acres of territory. Unfortunately, wolves need a couple of square miles minimum. I blame the dog breeders for focusing on curbing the wrong traits. not the dogs or the owners.

Back
Top Bottom