It finally happened (long rant, sorry)

I have never had a neighbor's dog get my chickens. One neighbor had and I emphasize had a dog that killed my lambs. I have also had to either find a home in town for a dog and had another one put down for killing my birds. The one we gave away was a miniture dauchshound so I knew it could get a good home away from farm animals, the other a red heeler and I knew some idiot would think they could "fix" her (believe me I tried because I loved her) but when she acted up I was afraid someone would be cruel to her when they couldn't fix her.

I know this may sound bad, but i've personally shot and killed 8 dogs who were after my chickens,after the dog owners were repeatly warned. The cops have been to my house many times to inform me that i may be brought to court on the matter. I informed them " i already held court right here in the back yard and the dog lost. The balls in your court. do what you gotta do." Never heard anything more from them. Now my neighbors come around me with their hat in their hand. If you want respect, you have to demand it.

I'm not really into killing animals especially other people's animals unless it is dangerous. However if you did try warning the neighbors, got permission to kill it, and even maybe warn them again that you did get permission then I'd say shoot it. We've had dogs come around here when one of our dogs was in heat and we had her in the house and our door is old and doesn't shut good and they kept coming into the house. We called the neighbors which they did come and get the dog and the dog even busted and broke through their door to get down here. We didn't shoot the dog but we got some of those fire crackers that you light and it makes the sound like guns going off and that usually scared the dog away for a few days. It might work for you since you don't have a dog in heat. The next time you see it toss some down and see if that scares them away or maybe some other type of loud noise makers. One thing I do worry about is if a dog is attacking your chickens and you or someone else tries to get the dog away to save your chicken if it isn't already dead is if the dog tries to attack you or anyone else especially children.

I am not into killing animals either but I moved out to the middle of nowhere so I could have the livestock I wanted and I did warn my neighbors for about 6 months. I may have to try the firecracker trick if it happens again. I will say that after my DH shot one of their dogs the rest stayed away.

Quote:
Animals are animals regardless of who breeds them. You can not say it has to do with breeding. People call it domesticated, I call it being use to us. ALL ANIMALS have a wild side and at certain times or instances it will come out.

The breeders?: sure there are a lot that breed just for the dollar....Again its still the owners responsability to do the research necessary before bringing a dog home. The time to even decide if you have the time to raise a puppy. Maybe you need an older dog? The breeds who will fit in to your life style. House dog/protection dog/LGD/herding dog/hound dog. I can go on and on about why the responsibility is all on the owner! How the dog grows up still the owner. If you want to blame the breeder, maybe it was a bad breeder O.K. Why did you get a dog from that person? If you half way did home work you would be able to tell if its good or bad breeder. If some one has many puppies, with 100% gaurantee, thats a red flag that this is a mass producer THEY ARE DOING It FOR FOR THE DOLLAR ! Common sence many pups=no time to handle babies. Its ALL on the owner. Also humane societies will tell people that pit/x are boxer/mastiff ect... so they don't have to put down. Lots of shelters put down pits. High libility.
rant.gif
If you ever want to understand dogs go back to the wolf. No matter how domestic, they will always have the wolf traits. One other thing once prey drive kicks in not many electric collars, fences will effect the dog. Some breeds have a very high threshole for pain and feel nothing.

i also am new to the chicken addiction and am worrying about my dogs when I get the chickies outdoors. I have 3 labs and 1 border collie. Hopefully, I can teach them "friends not food" but they will NEVER be left alone.

My biggest concern with loose dogs is when they roam in packs. Several communities in our area are having problems with dogs stalking kids walking to the school bus stops, etc. In that case, my shotgun and I would definitely go with my kids.

Several years ago, I lived in a mountain town and a dog pack killed several horses, cows and then an old man and his burro who'd been up there for years prospecting. It was horrible!

I'd rather deal with a pack of wolves than stray dogs who have contempt for humans.

I taught my dogs not to kill my chickens, but after they already had. If they kill your chickens, tie them to a tree and beat the crap out of them with the dead chickens. Every time you go out, grab the chickens and smack them again. Leave them tied to the tree, giving them their food and water and chickens on the ground for 2 days. If that does not make them stop, you may have to rehome the dog. Worked for me.

One of the problems with a pack of dogs verses wolves is; wolves have a natural fear of man-dogs don't...I am dealing with a pack that come out at night. They are literally fence fighting with people's dogs that are behind fences. These dogs are all locally owned. Just irresponsiable owned or the people just don't care who there dogs bother. I will be contacting animal conrol. We are in an area that has leash laws. All kinds of fines.... Again I have a high fence that we keep locked and my dog is in the house with me until this is cleared up.

Quote:
I find that my dogs accept babies way better than adults, people, cats, goats, whatever. So I plan on putting the brooder where the dogs and cats have access so they can get to know these babies belong, they can meet and greet and sniff and just get used to them.

My lab doesn't ever go after anything, I could trust her with any animal, the chessie is more protective, but I hope that if she knows they are ours she will protect them like she does all the rest of our family. She used to flush the wild birds (and still does on occassion) but once she saw me feed them she's kinda started just ignoring them.

Michelle

Back
Top Bottom