It finally happened the neighbors dog got out

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by waltja02, Sep 21, 2012.

1. waltja02

waltja02 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    I need a little advise. The "neighbors" dog got out and killed seven of our chickens. Long story short my girlfriend woke up at 11:00a.m. to the chickens screaming. She went out and seen the neighbors dog with one of out barred rocks in it mouth. I get home from work and find 5 dead chickens and 2 more that needed destroyed due to injuries.

The "neighbor" has said that she will pay for the birds. The problem is that I can't find any in our area for sale that are the same age and breed. The only place i found online was McMurray hatchery. To total with shipping is just short for $300 for 7 started pullets. I have sent a certified letter to the "neighbor".

Is there anything else from a legal standpoint that anyone suggest that I do in order to be made whole for our lost chicken? I am in Indiana if it helps out

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I am so sorry to hear this. I have had a similar thing happen - though none of my own were injured or killed. I was told by animal control that they only way to recover losses like that is to take them to small claims if they didn't offer. :( I threatened my neighbour's dog bodily harm if he was to set foot on my property again. That is the only thing that worked to keep him out.

I live in a very rural area, and chickens are a breeze to find. Especially this time of year. Why don't you check craigslist, Kijiji or something like that? $300 is extremely steep for 7 pullets.

Again, I am so sorry :(

3. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Personally I would report the incident to animal control. Get it on record.

4. aoxa

All they can do is fine them for being off of the owner's property. They told me the best bet is to catch the dog each time and take it to the SPCA where the owners will have to pay a fee to get the dog back. However, this doesn't help me recover the costs of my dead chickens.

If the dog attacked you that is another story..

5. waltja02

Mar 23, 2012
    I reported it to the sheriffs department. They are the one that handle animal complaints. They issued a warning for her dog running at large. I also made a complaint with the zoning board since she has previous actions by them where she isn't supposed to have any new dogs

6. PittsburghChick

PittsburghChick New Egg

Jul 1, 2012
    I am sorry to hear about your chicken's. I thought that if a neighbor's dog was running, attacking your "livestock" you were within your rights to shoot it. I don't know if chickens are in that category but it may only pertain to sheep, goat, cows etc. Where I live it is a $300 fine for your dog running at large. I definately would report it to have it on record. Seven chickens is heartbreaking.

7. aoxa

Sadly it is not an option here. I have asked around. If that dog got a hold of one of my geese (my babies) I would do some serious damage.

Someone said in another thread they S.S.S (Shoot. Shovel. Shut up.)

8. snot

snot Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    Here you could sign a ticket for property damage. I'd make as big a deal as need be to get the authorities to cite them and demand restitution. Because the dog will get out again and it will come looking for yummy screaming chicken treats again.police often feel like they are above dealing with problem dogs. push your rites to restitution. killing is a self rewarding Behavior even good dog trainers struggle to correct it once started.

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    You are doing everything correctly. Now allow time for neighbor to make good. Pushing too hard will not be productive. If neighbor does not own up to responsibility than further legal action may be warranted. Based on some experience, try not to over react and keep cool head. By this time the shoot, shovel and shutup option no longer likely to be available to you with this dog owner. Adequate warning and pursuing for damages most logical plan and shooting if possible if dog does return visit.

10. waltja02

Mar 23, 2012
    Right now i'm in a holding pattern. I gave them until October 1st to make it right. On October 2nd I will be at the courthouse when they open to file a small claims case. As far as the dog if it comes back to my property and one of us is home it will probably me Mr. Remington

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by