It finally happened the neighbors dog got out

Yeah, I don't fret over neighbors and dealing with them,because their pets are causing a problem. I just deal with the pet directly,and never speak to the neighbor about it.Easier that way.People know what a roamer can do, and if they don't care enogh to control their pet then too darn bad if it does not make it home.

I just lost a beautiful EE and a Buff Brahma to the neighbors dog today. They are in a fenced in run, the big dog bent the fence down and attacked! I know I can shoot to protect livestock but I only have a pellet gun (Canada I need a firearm license to own a real gun) do I have to be able to shoot to kill or just wounding the dog be okay? I was debating being nice and talking to the owners but seeing the lack of caring on the neighbors part I'm thinking of warning them and shooting next time. My kids are devastated they lost thier EE. All my birds were around 18-19 weeks old......so close to getting eggs :(

I just lost a beautiful EE and a Buff Brahma to the neighbors dog today. They are in a fenced in run, the big dog bent the fence down and attacked! I know I can shoot to protect livestock but I only have a pellet gun (Canada I need a firearm license to own a real gun) do I have to be able to shoot to kill or just wounding the dog be okay? I was debating being nice and talking to the owners but seeing the lack of caring on the neighbors part I'm thinking of warning them and shooting next time. My kids are devastated they lost thier EE. All my birds were around 18-19 weeks old......so close to getting eggs
sad.png

I am sorry for your loss. At this point I would talk to the neighbor and see if they are willing to make it right. I would also let them know that if the dog comes back what will happen to it.I would not shoot to kill or to wound the dog, but to stop it from attacking your livestock.

I'm really sorry for your lose, I'm glad they are paying for it, even if only over 6 months :(
Hopefully since she's getting new dogs, she's reserched breeds ect. And hopefully found some, more likly to stay home ect.

i agree wot the whole SSS method.. Sad it has to come to that, but really, when your left no choice...

I just lost a beautiful EE and a Buff Brahma to the neighbors dog today. They are in a fenced in run, the big dog bent the fence down and attacked! I know I can shoot to protect livestock but I only have a pellet gun (Canada I need a firearm license to own a real gun) do I have to be able to shoot to kill or just wounding the dog be okay? I was debating being nice and talking to the owners but seeing the lack of caring on the neighbors part I'm thinking of warning them and shooting next time. My kids are devastated they lost thier EE. All my birds were around 18-19 weeks old......so close to getting eggs
sad.png

I personally shoot to kill, because if the wounded dog goes home to its owners guess who gets the animal cops on their door steps for cruely mistreating an animal and making it suffer..... YOU!
Oddly enough to law is on the pet owners side in that case, and if you kill it on your property its on your side - go figure.

I suggest getting a paintball gun with nice bright paint, shoot the dogs a couple of times with it and let the neighbours know next time it will be real bullets.

Thanks everyone. I guess unless I record it, proving it was on my property when it got shot it could get nasty. I'll better get the paint ball gun out instead and paint that dog pretty for his owners lol!
Woke up this morning and found dog tracks in the snow leading from their house to my coop. He must have been back, but all my girls were already locked up for the night. :)

Back
Top Bottom