It finally happened the neighbors dog got out

Right now i'm in a holding pattern. I gave them until October 1st to make it right. On October 2nd I will be at the courthouse when they open to file a small claims case. As far as the dog if it comes back to my property and one of us is home it will probably me Mr. Remington
At this point, that is a fare arrangement. If lethal force intended, then make shot(s) clean and effective.

Nephew and I recently went through similar with multiple dogs. Two dogs were terminated and balance figured out through our botched efforts to bag them that they could not get onto our property anywhere without risk of encountering us. Remaining dogs no longer visit thus protecting birds as desired.

The only place i found online was McMurray hatchery. To total with shipping is just short for $300 for 7 started pullets. I have sent a certified letter to the "neighbor".

I have no further advice, but wanted to mention that nearly always started pullets are beak-clipped. I just wanted to let you know to investigate, in case that matters to you. No matter where you get your new birds please remember to quarantine them so that you don't accidentally bring in disease that could harm your surviving birds.

Best wishes to you! It is a nightmare for most of us to deal with.

Just an FYI, I recovered $150 for a hen attacked by a neighbor's dog - $30 for the bird, and $150 for the next year of eggs I wouldn't be getting.

Good for you! That's excellent since it's such a horrible situation. Not always easy to get things financially made right afterwards.

However, since she's been cited before and isn't supposed to have dogs, something tells me she isn't the type that's going to worry about making good and you will see her in court. If so, up the amount you want, to include the egg production like MamaRoo did. Plus court costs.

Well I got my response back to my request. She has offer to pay for new chicks to replace the 20 some week old laying pullets that I had. Guess its time to file in court. And hope that somehow she is made to pay.

I think I would take her offer if she threw in a few bags of feed. Sorry but I don't think the courts are going to force her to pay, even if they rule in your favor.

I don't know what your end goal is - if you really want her to financially compensate you, or you just want to feel like things have been squared up.

I had a similar situation happen with dogs killing my girls. I found out it wasn't the first time the dogs had killed chickens. I went to my city ward representative and she got great results for me. We also had to go to the city council meeting to plead our case - they were also very sympathetic. We had absolutely no luck with animal control or the police. If your neighbor really isn't supposed to have dogs, I would do some research and then call your area representative. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Her dog should be removed.

Well I got my response back to my request. She has offer to pay for new chicks to replace the 20 some week old laying pullets that I had. Guess its time to file in court. And hope that somehow she is made to pay.
Please keep us informed. I'd like to know how long this will take and what the outcome is. God forbid it happens again. :( So sorry you are going through this! If I were near you, I'd offer you a couple of pullets until you get through all this.

So sorry to hear about your losses due to dog. I too have lost hens due to a pack of dogs coming on my land & going on a killing spree. I would do everything I could legally, plus notify the owner of the dog that if her dog gets loose again, it will be destroyed.

Back
Top Bottom