it finally happened to me

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by janjan1, Jul 7, 2010.

1. janjan1

janjan1 Songster

Feb 26, 2008
    Armuchee, GA
    After reading everyone's postings about losing their chickens, I couldn't really relate. Well now I can. Lost one of my first hens, naturally one of my favorites. It was a huge EE. I found the feathers this morning but nothing else. But while looking around I found the remains of her body. Her head was gone and her breast was ripped open, eaten on one side and all internal organs were missing also. I assume it was a coyote. Anyone else have this type of killing happen?
    Thanks
    Jan

2. rcentner

rcentner Songster

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    [​IMG] I am sorry you had to join the club. I joined the club this past spring. Keep the rest under tight watch, whatever it was will be back for more.

3. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Sorry you lost a chicken.

I'm no expert, but I've heard racoons tend to eat the head and leave the body. [​IMG]

I didn't sleep well at all last night, because I saw a big ol' racoon hanging around as I was locking up my 2 coops of chickens. I didn't even see it at first - the little girls alerted me to it's presence with their unusual twittering (Big girls reacted by being completely quiet and still).

I tried to scare it away by smacking the shovel on the ground and throwing rocks at it, but it was very slow to wander off.

4. tomcatbubba

tomcatbubba Chirping

Jun 16, 2010
    If it was slow to wander off it may have been sick. You probably should have killed it.

5. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Songster

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    [​IMG] I am so sorry for your loss! [​IMG] I don't think coyote, because it would have eaten nearly all of it. I would lean more towards a raccoon. Raccoons can be vicious; last year one killed a BYC member's cat and disemboweled it. [​IMG]

** According to the sticky at the top "identifying predators" it says "

"When you find a bird dead ... with its head and crop missing, your visitor was a raccoon. If the head and back of the neck are missing, suspect a weasel or mink. If the head and neck are missing, and feathers are scattered near a fence post, the likely perp is a great horned owl" **

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  6. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Songster

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    It's always the chicken that happens to be my favorite or the one I get particularly attached to that dies. Happened again today. We were starting to get close, she came inside a lot, but was the smallest and most picked on. She got pecked in the eye and got an eye infection. I had been treating it but after the rains finished we got SWARMS of bugs and they went directly for her. She was dead before I made it back from the feed store with the bug dust.

7. tinychicky

tinychicky Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    oh that's really sad, i'm so sorry! [​IMG] i have never lost a chicken to a predator, although on of my bantam hens was almost taken by a northern goshawk, one of a pair that has taken up residence in our yard. i was standing about a yard away when the hawk swooped down. i think it may have hesitated when it saw me and that's why it missed her. it was close enough to leave wing prints in the mid-winter snow right over where the hen, the very smallest of the flock, had been standing in it. i grabbed the banty and ran back to the barn- i think i was more scared than the chicken was! if it makes you feel better, give another chicken a hug- it was the best remedy for me when my hen bumble died, quite suddenly, at only a year old. good luck and i hope you can find a worthy substitute for your favorite hen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by