It happens all at once!

Barb Schuetz

Songster
12 Years
May 24, 2007
Viroqua, WI
So I just get finished explaining that I've had so many birds and haven't had a problem losing them and then WHAMMO!
barnie.gif
It's my own fault- here's what happened: I had just put the goslings out with the big geese, the chickens were having a hay day, and my dogs were out ON THEIR LEASHES(we have these stakes that have a reversed claw type thing so they can't be pulled out). I had to run to Richland center and would only be about 2 hours so I figured everyone would be ok. I refreshed everybody's water, packed up my kid and went on my way. Well, when I got back all hell broke loose! Dutchess, my lab mix, had gotten ahold of a gosling. I scolded her(enough to let her know that this was not exceptable to me but not too much because she really did nothing wrong)m cleaned up, checked on everyone else- water, food, head count and put the remaining 9 goslings away. I went to refresh my dogs' water and suddenly realized that Chester, my pointer, wasn't where he was supposed to be( he was there when I first got home). Upon further inspection I found he had magically grown thumbs and unhooked his run from the stake! I noticed he was rummaging around just inside the woods where my chickens were foraging, ran over there yelling just when he caught site of Gus, my buff gander. Now Gus is the goose that I kind of rescued recently and he is still not in complete health or strength and he was not able to get away from Chester. I put Harry down( my son-he was on my hip at the time), picked up Chester by the collar abd the skin in his back and yelled at him to let go. In the meantime, Gus grabbed ahold of the inside of my bicep(if I had one). OUCH! It's awfully pretty colors now. Back to the story- Chester let go and Gus ran off. My son is now terrified and I have no words. I tied Chester up on the other side of the house, took care of Harry and headed out to inspect Gus. Not good. I noticed blood so My hubby and I got ahold of him so we could take a better look. His wound has him exposed!
ep.gif
I called a local vet and found out that by what we are describing, his air sack doesn't seem to be punctured and it could very well heal up quickly and Gus will be fine, So we hope
fl.gif
. My poor Gus Gus. Well, I've learned my lesson. I should've put the goslings away before I left AND I should've put the dogs in the house as well, like I usually do. I think Chester would've still gotten lose eventually whether I put him inside or not but what can I do now? Lesson: Dogs will be dogs and I have to learn the hard way.
he.gif
roll.png

Last edited:
I'm really sorry this happened...but try not to beat yourself up for it. You really can't believe it could happen until you see it with your own eyes. You'll be more careful in the future. I know I am after seeing three of my chickens killed by my father-in-law-s dog.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom