It hatched! Now what to do??? Please help. urgent

It is true that some broodies will quickly adopt chicks on sight and in broad daylight, but best chance for sucess is to always give new chicks to a broody at night. In the case of your newest chick, waiting until tonight also gives the chick time to recover from the exertion spent hatching.

Since your broody has already left the nest with her current chick which she hatched Monday, she may not accept the new chick. That doesn't mean in any way that she is a bad mom; it just means that she sees the new chick as an uninvited, unwelcome intruder and not her own. I would also be very surprised if your other broody that has 1 and 1/2 week old chicks will accept this new chick for the above reason. At their young ages, the chicks of either broody won't mind an additional flockmate, which is why its easy to add additional chicks of younger ages in an artificial brooder. But both your broodies may very much mind. Again, this doesn't mean that either broody is a bad mom. Place the chick behind her tail tonight, well after dark. The chick will instinctively move underneath her for warmth. If the broody seems accepting, leave them for the night. In the morn before dawn, be ready to observe how the broody reacts when she sees the new chick. I hope she accepts the new chick, but odds are probably 50/50 due to the fact she has already bonded to her current chick for 5 days now (or a week and a half depending on which broody you give the chick too. The day old chick may have a hard time keeping up with chicks 10 days older than it, but that is another issue. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
The broody only left the nest last night and by nest I meant the nest box itself. She still stayed in the same area in the dog crate that had the nest.

This chick is growing on me so if I have to I will raise it and find a way but I think it's better if it can have its own flock.

I moved the broody and her other chick inside for the night. When it gets dark I'll put the newest member under her and keep them in my room so I can act immediately in case something happens.

Attachments

• PXL_20230708_011223712.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230708_011223712.MP.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 10
I can see why the chick is growing on you; it's adorable! I think it may help that you moved the broody and chick inside for the night: hopefully she won't feel as protective and territorial since she isn't sleeping in her usual place. Don't let your broody see the added chick at all tonight; just allow all 3 to quietly snuggle up together. Good luck; I hope the adoption is sucessful!

I can see why the chick is growing on you; it's adorable! I think it may help that you moved the broody and chick inside for the night: hopefully she won't feel as protective and territorial since she isn't sleeping in her usual place. Don't let your broody see the added chick at all tonight; just allow all 3 to quietly snuggle up together. Good luck; I hope the adoption is sucessful!
Its biological mom and dad are also my fav hen and rooster that I had to give up a few weeks ago because the neighbors complained so I think this chick is pretty special. It runs toward me in the bin and pecks at it like it wants to come out and play when it sees me. I tried introducing it to the broody earlier this morning. Hopefully she forgot about that by now.

Its biological mom and dad are also my fav hen and rooster that I had to give up a few weeks ago because the neighbors complained so I think this chick is pretty special. It runs toward me in the bin and pecks at it like it wants to come out and play when it sees me. I tried introducing it to the broody earlier this morning. Hopefully she forgot about that by now.
How are things going today for the chick/eggs?

How are things going today for the chick/eggs?
It looks like the night time thing worked like a charm! The mama growled at first but that was directed at me. The chick chirped for a bit but settled down and all was quiet for the night. In the morning it seemed like the mama acted like the chick had hatched with her this whole time. They're still in a bin in my room. I'm going to put them back in the dog crate in the coop soon.

It looks like the night time thing worked like a charm! The mama growled at first but that was directed at me. The chick chirped for a bit but settled down and all was quiet for the night. In the morning it seemed like the mama acted like the chick had hatched with her this whole time. They're still in a bin in my room. I'm going to put them back in the dog crate in the coop soon.
Post some pictures when you get a chance! :love

Post some pictures when you get a chance! :love

Here's a video of them this morning. It's funny how the newest chick is already almost the size of the one born on Monday even though it's four days younger.

I took them out to the dog crate in the coop and their mama was pecking at the newest chick but she did that to the first one too for the first two days or so. Not sure why she does that but it seems normal for her.

Here's a pic I just took of them in the crate. You can barely tell which one is the youngest one lol. Her biological mama tends to lay really big eggs so that's probably why.

Attachments

• PXL_20230708_234333368.jpg
    PXL_20230708_234333368.jpg
    930.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Here's a video of them this morning. It's funny how the newest chick is already almost the size of the one born on Monday even though it's four days younger.

I took them out to the dog crate in the coop and their mama was pecking at the newest chick but she did that to the first one too for the first two days or so. Not sure why she does that but it seems normal for her.

Here's a pic I just took of them in the crate. You can barely tell which one is the youngest one lol. Her biological mama tends to lay really big eggs so that's probably why.
How adorable! Was the new baby the one jumping on her back? She looks bigger than my week olds already. So happy things worked out well 🥰

How adorable! Was the new baby the one jumping on her back? She looks bigger than my week olds already. So happy things worked out well 🥰
I was about to shut off the incubator last night but heard chirping from an egg so I left it. Another baby hatched last night!!! I was a little worried about it because it was still so lethargic this morning but it looks like it was still attached to its egg. The cord was clear and I asked this forum and was advised I could cut it. I also gave it a few drops of electrolytes and it's chirping more now! Thought you might like to see.

Attachments

• PXL_20230711_182351293.jpg
    PXL_20230711_182351293.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom