It hatched! Now what to do??? Please help. urgent

I think she's in momma mode now. It was a staggered hatch because the other hens kept laying new eggs in her nest. She was sitting past three weeks so I didn't want her to sit anymore and she kept pooping on the eggs, killing at least two baby chicks.
And yes if she’s not sitting, wait until the new baby is dry and getting around before you bring it to her.

And yes if she’s not sitting, wait until the new baby is dry and getting around before you bring it to her.
I brought the chick out before I saw this. The momma got defensive when I was near. I tried putting the chick under her but she just pecked at it. I quickly took it back inside. I'll try again tonight when the chick has fluffed up.

If she doesn't take the chick her sister also hatched some chicks last Wednesday. The chicks are a little older but I think her sister is a better momma.

Last edited:
I brought the chick out before I saw this. The momma got defensive when I was near. I tried putting the chick under her but she just pecked at it. I quickly took it back inside. I'll try again tonight when the chick has fluffed up.

If she doesn't take the chick her sister also hatched some chicks last Wednesday. The chicks are a little older but I think her sister is a better momma.
Sounds like a good plan. You can give the new baby some chick crumbles and offer water so it will be a pro when it gets to a momma. Some hens just don’t make good mommas 😕. Good luck with everything!!

Also you don’t need the lid as long as it’s deep enough that the chick can’t fall out. As long as none of the eggs have pipped, you may be able to give her eggs back now too, she should sit on them till they hatch. If she’s on the floor in a nest, just leave chick food and water near her. Make sure it’s not a deep bowl of water tho, chicks can easily drown while trying to drink. congrats on the new baby.
Put marbles in the water bowl - enough so the babies have to sip between them to get a drink - that way, it's harder for them to fall in and drown.
And, if you have a heating pad, you don't need a lamp. You need a "Mama Heating Pad." They're especially nice for staggered hatches (and first-time Mams who may get confused by the mixed hatch dates.
For a good How-to, check out this post by @Blooie - a veteran hatcher:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update.956958/

Sounds like a good plan. You can give the new baby some chick crumbles and offer water so it will be a pro when it gets to a momma. Some hens just don’t make good mommas 😕. Good luck with everything!!
Thank you!

I'm feeling pretty nervous about the mama hen. She hatched one chick and she keeps pecking at him/her. He/she gets a little startled but not hurt. I'm leaning toward just giving the chick to her sister.

Her sister actually went broody first and she joined her a few days later. The sis and her 4 chicks are currently sleeping in a pet carrier and they come out during the day in their own small run to play. I'm thinking of leaving them in my room tonight just to make sure I can monitor them. I am a little nervous about the older chicks picking on this smaller one though.

Thank you!

I'm feeling pretty nervous about the mama hen. She hatched one chick and she keeps pecking at him/her. He/she gets a little startled but not hurt. I'm leaning toward just giving the chick to her sister.

Her sister actually went broody first and she joined her a few days later. The sis and her 4 chicks are currently sleeping in a pet carrier and they come out during the day in their own small run to play. I'm thinking of leaving them in my room tonight just to make sure I can monitor them. I am a little nervous about the older chicks picking on this smaller one though.
How old are the other chicks? Sometimes if there’s a big gap, the little one won’t be able to keep up and compete for food and water. If it were me, I would have a back up plan to brood them yourself

How old are the other chicks? Sometimes if there’s a big gap, the little one won’t be able to keep up and compete for food and water. If it were me, I would have a back up plan to brood them yourself
The other chicks are about a week and a half old. If I have to raise it myself it will only be a last resort. I'm the only one that will take of it but I'm leaving for a week in two weeks.

It is true that some broodies will quickly adopt chicks on sight and in broad daylight, but best chance for sucess is to always give new chicks to a broody at night. In the case of your newest chick, waiting until tonight also gives the chick time to recover from the exertion spent hatching.

Since your broody has already left the nest with her current chick which she hatched Monday, she may not accept the new chick. That doesn't mean in any way that she is a bad mom; it just means that she sees the new chick as an uninvited, unwelcome intruder and not her own. I would also be very surprised if your other broody that has 1 and 1/2 week old chicks will accept this new chick for the above reason. At their young ages, the chicks of either broody won't mind an additional flockmate, which is why its easy to add additional chicks of younger ages in an artificial brooder. But both your broodies may very much mind. Again, this doesn't mean that either broody is a bad mom. Place the chick behind her tail tonight, well after dark. The chick will instinctively move underneath her for warmth. If the broody seems accepting, leave them for the night. In the morn before dawn, be ready to observe how the broody reacts when she sees the new chick. I hope she accepts the new chick, but odds are probably 50/50 due to the fact she has already bonded to her current chick for 5 days now (or a week and a half depending on which broody you give the chick too. The day old chick may have a hard time keeping up with chicks 10 days older than it, but that is another issue. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Yes for sure good info! I have to comment on your profile pic, Great Pyrenees? We have a 3 year old GP, best flock guardian ever! ❤️

Attachments

• IMG_8096.jpeg
    IMG_8096.jpeg
    645 KB · Views: 3
Yes for sure good info! I have to comment on your profile pic, Great Pyrenees? We have a 3 year old GP, best flock guardian ever! ❤️
That's a great photo! The hen standing under your dog is 100% protected from predators, same as is this hen that is taking a dust bath.
IMG_20160726_194322~2.jpg

There's no predator protection that compares to a great flock guardian!

Back
Top Bottom