It hatched! Now what to do??? Please help. urgent

citychicks99

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
I took the rest of these eggs from my broody last night because she kept pooping on them. I put them in a container with a heating pad on low and one hatched this morning! What do I do? Leave it alone until night and put it with its mom? Should I leave the lid on?? I don't have a lamp.

I've never hatched a chick before. This is so exciting!! But I don't know what to do. Is it normal that it keeps chirping like it's calling for its mom?

Attachments

• PXL_20230707_183951011.jpg
    PXL_20230707_183951011.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
I’ve never given my broody hens their chicks at night, as long as you place the chick toward her tail feathers and kind of tuck it under her. She will know what to do and so will the chick. Just watch for a few minutes to make sure shes making clucky sounds to it she should be going into momma mode.

I’ve never given my broody hens their chicks at night, as long as you place the chick toward her tail feathers and kind of tuck it under her. She will know what to do and so will the chick. Just watch for a few minutes to make sure shes making clucky sounds to it she should be going into momma mode.
I read that the momma's tend to adopt the babies better at night? I watched some videos and it looks like I'm supposed to take it out when it starts fluffing up?

Also you don’t need the lid as long as it’s deep enough that the chick can’t fall out. As long as none of the eggs have pipped, you may be able to give her eggs back now too, she should sit on them till they hatch. If she’s on the floor in a nest, just leave chick food and water near her. Make sure it’s not a deep bowl of water tho, chicks can easily drown while trying to drink. congrats on the new baby.

I read that the momma's tend to adopt the babies better at night? I watched some videos and it looks like I'm supposed to take it out when it starts fluffing up?
I know they say that, but I have done this 3-4 times and it’s always been during the day with no issues. Is she a first time momma? As long as she’s going right under momma hen, you can put her under any time

Also you don’t need the lid as long as it’s deep enough that the chick can’t fall out. As long as none of the eggs have pipped, you may be able to give her eggs back now too, she should sit on them till they hatch. If she’s on the floor in a nest, just leave chick food and water near her. Make sure it’s not a deep bowl of water tho, chicks can easily drown while trying to drink. congrats on the new baby.
I just took the eggs from her yesterday. Will she get confused if I put them back? They were a staggered hatch so I'm not sure when the rest is supposed to come out.

The momma also already has one baby that hatched on Monday. Not sure how that one will react to a new member.

I just took the eggs from her yesterday. Will she get confused if I put them back? They were a staggered hatch so I'm not sure when the rest is supposed to come out.

The momma also already has one baby that hatched on Monday. Not sure how that one will react to a new member.
So is she already in momma mode with other chicks or is she still sitting? If she’s already got chicks and showing them food etc. then she won’t sit on the eggs well enough to hatch them. I hatched 6 in an incubator last week because my broody kept sitting in the wrong nest and letting her eggs get cold. We brought them to her in a shoebox we had warmed up with a heating pad as they hatched. she was sitting on golf balls by the end of 21 days so we just gathered up all the golf balls when the last one hatched. We did the same thing last summer with her, she’s a great momma but a confused sitter!

Attachments

• CE97DC2B-BEE0-406E-A65E-E2547CE4A469.jpeg
    CE97DC2B-BEE0-406E-A65E-E2547CE4A469.jpeg
    538.9 KB · Views: 8
I know they say that, but I have done this 3-4 times and it’s always been during the day with no issues. Is she a first time momma? As long as she’s going right under momma hen, you can put her under any time
Yes, she's a first time momma. I let her and her other baby chick out yesterday and she was acting very clumsy so I got nervous. I put them back in the dog crate. Do I need to wait for it to fluff up?

So is she already in momma mode with other chicks or is she still sitting? If she’s already got chicks and showing them food etc. then she won’t sit on the eggs well enough to hatch them. I hatched 6 in an incubator last week because my broody kept sitting in the wrong nest and letting her eggs get cold. We brought them to her in a shoebox we had warmed up with a heating pad as they hatched. she was sitting on golf balls by the end of 21 days so we just gathered up all the golf balls when the last one hatched. We did the same thing last summer with her, she’s a great momma but a confused sitter!
I think she's in momma mode now. It was a staggered hatch because the other hens kept laying new eggs in her nest. She was sitting past three weeks so I didn't want her to sit anymore and she kept pooping on the eggs, killing at least two baby chicks.

Ok, then don’t bring the eggs back out to her. Just bring the baby out to her whenever. I don’t ever crate my broody Mom’s with their babies, just try to make a nursery area in the coop out of the way of the other hens (if your space allows). If she already has a chick and she’s doing well, she *should* take the new ones, but every hen is different. You will know pretty quick if she rejects this new one.
I think she's in momma mode now. It was a staggered hatch because the other hens kept laying new eggs in her nest. She was sitting past three weeks so I didn't want her to sit anymore and she kept pooping on the eggs, killing at least two baby chicks

Back
Top Bottom