It IS a hawk!!

DuckMochi

Songster
Jun 16, 2017
Tempe, AZ
So a few weeks ago I made a post on here saying I saw a hawk or two continuously circling around our neighborhood. I concluded that what I thought was a hawk was actually a buzzard until recently. While I was out in the run with the birds I saw it in the air again and luckily my father was outside to see it and he confirmed that it was a hawk and I wasn’t crazy.

But the hawk never got close. I only saw it very far in the sky, until today. I walked outside and saw the chickens and ducks looking up and I thought the hawk was flying around again so I looked and sure enough, it was the hawk, but it was sitting in our tree in our backyard. Meters from the chickens and ducks just sitting in the tree. It flew off before my mom had a chance to look at it and I’m still not sure what kind it was. It didn’t seem very big but I don’t doubt that it could still easily kill one of the birds. I think it was either a Prairie or a Peregrine falcon but it is hard to tell. To me it had a face that looked more like a kestrel but I am not sure how big kestrels get. Now I’m terrified? What should we do? Is there any way to scare it off? The smallest bird in our flock is my mallard hen, Billy, and she means so much to me that if she were to die I don’t know how I’d survive. Please help...

Do you have a roof on your run, or are they free ranged? If they have a run (and you don't already) I would make a roof out of some kind of wire. You can also try hanging cd's in your trees.

@FrankieDoodle they have a run and no there is no roof above it as it is half of our backyard... we have a large bamboo plant in the middle towards their coop and two orange trees at the opposite end of the yard that offer cover/shade but it is open in a chunk of the run where we keep the water for the ducks

Do you have any old dog crates or chairs/benches you could put in there for extra cover if it goes in a tree again?

@FrankieDoodle we have an old dog kennel but I’m not sure if that would help much... I’m thinking we might have to put some sort of tarp over the opening but convincing my mother to allow us to do that will be difficult. I’ll discuss it with my father when he gets home... maybe we can make a cover for the run

My thoughts as I've scared off a hawk or two. Be there when they are out or if u have a roo be close enough to stop the attack. I know thats not the best course of action but my heart breaks when i leave the babies confined to the run as we have red clay dirt (zero grass no matter what) and i feel like i am imprisoning them. I have heard hanging old cd's in the trees helps, i havent ever had an issue. My flock (3hens 1 cockrel) have alot to hide under. Their favorite spot is a wheelbarrow i leaned against the fence but they hide under the stairs to my back deck most often. The hawk was choosing its prey when you caught it. I have caught them as well. I act like a crazy person put a broom or big stick across my shoulders and act like a bigger bird. I know its nuts but i love my babies! Best of luck with yours.

@FrankieDoodle we have an old dog kennel but I’m not sure if that would help much... I’m thinking we might have to put some sort of tarp over the opening but convincing my mother to allow us to do that will be difficult. I’ll discuss it with my father when he gets home... maybe we can make a cover for the run

That might work. Good luck!

@Stayc ive seen it flying multiple times because I’ve always been out in the run when it flies past. But this is the first time I’ve seen it land and it had to be right in our backyard. We don’t have a rooster because it is illegal in the city to have one :(

@Stayc ive seen it flying multiple times because I’ve always been out in the run when it flies past. But this is the first time I’ve seen it land and it had to be right in our backyard. We don’t have a rooster because it is illegal in the city to have one :(
So the best course of action would be to keep them confined for at least 2 weeks. Sad, i know. But push come to shove i would do it too. Or make sure the range space is covered. It will move on eventually.

Back
Top Bottom