It IS bumblefoot! Any advice?

ChickenWisperer

Songster
11 Years
Jun 30, 2008
KY
Okay....

I made a post earlier about a hen that I thought had bumblefoot.

12583_img_2031.jpg

I was reassured it wasn't, and have been waiting for it to go away. It never did. This morning, I got a few seconds to touch it - and I could tell it was filled to the brim with puss.

After finding gem, I let the girls out and managed to catch her. Me and mom together got most, maybe all of the puss out, after a good 10 minutes of fishing for it. It was nasty and smelled horrible. We then poured peroxide on it, and over the foot, then sprayed it with bluekote and let her go on her merry way. She is behind the wood pile, sitting/sleeping. I'm guessing she is just trying not to walk on it too much. She is responsive and wide-eyed, acting mostly normal. She's been sitting mostly to keep off it, I think.

We've decided against seperating her (as she is acting really good) and put everyone on a wide spectrum antibiotic. There have been some droppings I didn't like and the occasional sneeze. I'm going to do some wormer after this.

Is there anything else I should do?

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you SO much!

I'll definately do that. I sure hope she gets better. She's a sweet little girl.

Is there any chance that this could spread to my other birds? Or am I safe using the anti-biotic on everyone?

caught her today, made a small hole and got a bit more out. It was very liquid-y though - only one harder bit.

I really do think we caught this just in the nick of time. And she has come to the perfect place to be fussed over!

Back
Top Bottom