It is goinjg to be one heck of a mesquito year

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by d'UCCLE boy, May 21, 2011.

1. d'UCCLE boy

d'UCCLE boy Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Columbia falls, MT
    It is soooo wet, and the mesquito's are driving me CRAZY!!!. I really hope my rabbits and chickens can get through, without getting any diseases. WHat about you? Do you have a TON of mesquito's where you are at?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

We do, but not as many as in years past, due to the swallows that reside here.

My FIL built swallow houses and put them up for us all around the house. They are increasing in number every year. This year there are at least 10 of them that dive around eating the mosquitos.

[​IMG] They are so beautiful.

3. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Not yet, but I suspect we will soon. We luckily have a lot of barn swallows making nests on our house, garage and both barns. I'm really hoping they can keep up!!

4. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    d'UCCLE boy :

It is soooo wet, and the mesquito's are driving me CRAZY!!!. I really hope my rabbits and chickens can get through, without getting any diseases. WHat about you? Do you have a TON of mesquito's where you are at?

It is so dry here, I don't see how we have any, but we do. I don't even know the last time it rained, things are drying up left and right. But still, mosquitoes. I imagine they are worse for you-time to stock up on the repellent spray for yourself anyway. Not sure what to recommend for your chickens. Sorry you are getting inundated with them.​

5. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Was just thinking, you could put up bat houses to help with reducing numbers. They eat a lot of mosquitoes.

6. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    They are just coming out here. Vaccination time.

7. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

if there is a pond or place with lots of baby misquitos get some feeder goldfish at the petstore like the 25 cent ones or 12 cent ones. Works like a charm trust me im not lying

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yep..We're getting eaten alive already here too... Gah!! [​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Horrible in NJ too. I was at a field trial in South Jersey on Wed. (rainy, cloudy day) and the mosquitoes were horrendous. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by