It is TIME!

Bear1978

Songster
Jun 16, 2020
Arkansas
Good LORD ALMIGHTY CREATOR OF HEAVEN AND EARTH! I have GOT to get this coop and run FINISHED ASAP! My girls are going bonkers!! Flying into the walls and the screen top is the brooder! Chirping like crazy! And then they will all huddle up next to the little window I have cut out and screened in on the side and just stare at me while I’m at my desk working.

they are about 4-5 weeks old. Surely as soon as I can get run and coop finished (Hopefully this weekend) they’ll be able to go outside?!?! Please say YES!!!

Yes, they should be fine outside as long as they have a snug coop where they can huddle together. How many chicks do you have? Do they have most of their feathers?

I have 6 of them in the brooder. Yes. The only place that still has the chick fluff us their neck, head and a little bit of their undercarage. It gets up in the 90’s during the day here and down to about the mid to low 70’s at night.
The coop is fully enclosed and I have used silicone sealant to fill in any gaps between the wood. From the outside that is.

Thanks everyone!
I’ll be putting them outside full time hopefully by next week. But in the meantime do I need to go ahead and turn off the heating plate I’ve had in the brooder to get them more used to no external heat source? Also, any advice on transitioning them to being outside all the time? Do I just go out there one morning and stick em in the run and let them do their thing that chickens do?

in the meantime do I need to go ahead and turn off the heating plate I’ve had in the brooder to get them more used to no external heat source? Also, any advice on transitioning them to being outside all the time? Do I just go out there one morning and stick em in the run

If they're still using the heat plate at this point, yes I'd shut it off now so they can get used to not having heat. You can leave it in for a couple of days, off, if you wish, if it comforts them to have "mama" there with them (though I simply remove it once it's off).

IF the coop is spacious enough and ventilated enough to safely lock them in for a few days, that's what I'd do to start them outside. If it's not, or summer heat is hot enough that it would be dangerous, then let them have both coop and run access, and you'll just need to herd them into coop at night.

Herd them into the coop! Now that’ll be a sight to see! How do you here baby chicks? They love meal worms so maybe that would work?

Herd them into the coop! Now that’ll be a sight to see! How do you here baby chicks? They love meal worms so maybe that would work?

You could try tossing mealworms into the coop just before dusk and then when they run in, shut the door. That would be about as low stress as possible for both you and the birds.

I've never actually had to "herd" chicks (it's like herding cats!)... they either go in on their own, or we just physically grab them and put them inside, and they figure it out in a couple of days.

If they're still using the heat plate at this point, yes I'd shut it off now so they can get used to not having heat. You can leave it in for a couple of days, off, if you wish, if it comforts them to have "mama" there with them (though I simply remove it once it's off).

IF the coop is spacious enough and ventilated enough to safely lock them in for a few days, that's what I'd do to start them outside. If it's not, or summer heat is hot enough that it would be dangerous, then let them have both coop and run access, and you'll just need to herd them into coop at night.

my coop is 6x4. I have 6 pullets. It has two windows up about 4ft on one side of the coop that’s screened in with 1/4in HW cloth and securely fastened down. The opposite wall has a big window that opens and have a smaller screened in window inside of that witheither 1/4in or 1/2in HW cloth, depending on how much or each I have left. The soffits are open and screened in with HW cloth as well. The whole coop and 95% of the attached 12x12 covered run is next to a big oak tree that’s provides shade for most of the day. If I do put them in the coop for a day or so it will be with all the windows open during the day with water and feed. I live in central Arkansas so the temperature ranges from 90-95 (with high humidity) during the day down to 70-75 at night. They’ve been kept in my office where the temps are about 70-75 constantly. So do y’all think I’ll be ok with putting them out in the coop for a few days to let them get used to being outside while I finish up installing the skirt around the coop and enclosure?

Back
Top Bottom