It just never gets old! First egg!

mandelyn

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Mt Repose, OH
My Coop
My Coop
I sent my husband out to check the birds and he comes in with the usual 3 big brown eggs. But he's hiding his other hand. What the heck is it? It's a little bitty while pullet egg from one of my Spanish!!! I forgot how exciting that first egg is! Wish I was the one that found it. But it's so little and cute after all the brown ones I've been getting! One more girl I'm waiting on.

But just to torture myself, I have 4 pullet chicks brooding now that I can wait many months on. LOL

It's so exciting when the time comes, I didn't expect her to lay this soon. Her comb went red about a month ago and she starting squatting, but her fluffy butt never became fuller like I was looking for. Not until she laid that egg!

lol..aren't you selfish! actually, I tell my roommate,,NEVER go into the hen house.. I want to get up the eggs. It is so much fun and I don't want to share that thrilling moment when I get them....especially now, with the less light out...I am anxiously awaiting the first eggs to start back up.

Haha, I'm so selfish I wasted that little white egg so I could blow it out and save the shell to make an ornament out of it. Partly to see about crafting with eggs, and to see how the size changes from the first egg onward. I can't believe how large my brown eggs are from the various girls. I know this pullet has some more growing to do, so I'm curious to see how the egg size changes with that.

When I was a kid I used to blow eggs for projects, but I always ended up with a giant hole in the bottom. This time I tried a different technique. I took a med/lg size sewing needle and held it pointy end up on the table. Then took the egg and gently yet firmly tapped it on the needle point. As soon as I felt it go through (controlled, slow taps) I pushed down a little more (if you remove the needle too early, you won't even see the hole and it will be too small) and worked the needle through until it was in the thickest part of the needle. Then I swirled it around, to make the hole a bit bigger, and to help "scramble" the egg. Turned it over and repeated the process. Took some time to empty it, as soon as enough was removed, I starting shaking the egg to really mix it up, and it came out much easier. Leaving too small little holes I can put plaster in/on and smooth over after the drying process is done.

Now I need to figure out how to affix an ornament hanger onto it utilizing the little hole in the top. But you can do all sorts of things with white eggs. I found the cutest chicken ornaments at a craft store, so I was thinking on making about a dozen egg ones to go with, painted in blues and silvers to match what my tree has going on now. If I start now, I should have it done by the next Holidays. LOL

Back
Top Bottom