It looks like a feather bomb went off in the run yesterday!

WoodlandWoman

Crowing
16 Years
May 8, 2007
Wisconsin
The girls have been molting a few feathers here and there, the last couple of weeks. Then yesterday, poof! Bebe had a big blow out! She really looks funny, as her breast under-fluff is lighter than her dark breast feathers. It's like she went from a solid to a print.
big_smile.png

yuckyuck.gif
but Cyn is correct there are rules against that somewhere...let me go find mine...
gig.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I have some that are nearly naked. I am not kidding. I mean there is more skin exposed than feathers left on their bodies. They seem oblivious. They run out the pop door and lay the sun anyway.

I know I wouldn't want any photos of me in my Time of Shame.

lol.png
That is so very funny. Mine don't have any feathers on their backs, due to feather picking! Some don't have any tail feathers either. One of my Barred Holland has one inch of a stick sticking out her tail feather rump. It is sooo funny to watch her. I'll be so glad when they grow back their feathers. They are now free ranging and stopped all that feather picking. I couldn't get them to stop picking on each other. One of my Barred girls, when she goes out, her back gets sunburned!

My Spitzhaubens and Amercuana LF and BF are all ashamed to show themselves. Poor things looks like they are all in the winger of an OLD washing machine. The new feathers looks beautiful...the Spitz looks like they are spangled instead of crescent black tips.

The Wellies look fine, one feather at a time!
lol.png

By late yesterday, Bebe's belly was as naked as a grocery store fryer and she has nothing but a little fluff on her chest. My husband picked her up during our walk, so I could look at her belly. When he put her down, she shook herself and more fluff flew out of her. She and Lucky both lost all their tail feathers, too. Now it looks like I have 2 rumpless chickens!
lol.png

I have never had chickens with such a big blow out in 24 hours. It's really amazing. We had another cold front come through. If they keep this up, I may have to get out my knitting needles!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom