1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It looks like a feather bomb went off in the run yesterday!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by WoodlandWoman, Sep 7, 2008.

1. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The girls have been molting a few feathers here and there, the last couple of weeks. Then yesterday, poof! Bebe had a big blow out! She really looks funny, as her breast under-fluff is lighter than her dark breast feathers. It's like she went from a solid to a print. [​IMG]

2. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    Ya got any pictures? [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think the Chicken Rules state that you are not allowed to photograph the girls in their Time of Shame, LOL. My poor Blue Orps have quite a case of the Uglies right now, too.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    [​IMG] but Cyn is correct there are rules against that somewhere...let me go find mine...[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:I have some that are nearly naked. I am not kidding. I mean there is more skin exposed than feathers left on their bodies. They seem oblivious. They run out the pop door and lay the sun anyway.

I know I wouldn't want any photos of me in my Time of Shame.

6. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    [​IMG] That is so very funny. Mine don't have any feathers on their backs, due to feather picking! Some don't have any tail feathers either. One of my Barred Holland has one inch of a stick sticking out her tail feather rump. It is sooo funny to watch her. I'll be so glad when they grow back their feathers. They are now free ranging and stopped all that feather picking. I couldn't get them to stop picking on each other. One of my Barred girls, when she goes out, her back gets sunburned!

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    My Spitzhaubens and Amercuana LF and BF are all ashamed to show themselves. Poor things looks like they are all in the winger of an OLD washing machine. The new feathers looks beautiful...the Spitz looks like they are spangled instead of crescent black tips.

The Wellies look fine, one feather at a time! [​IMG]

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    By late yesterday, Bebe's belly was as naked as a grocery store fryer and she has nothing but a little fluff on her chest. My husband picked her up during our walk, so I could look at her belly. When he put her down, she shook herself and more fluff flew out of her. She and Lucky both lost all their tail feathers, too. Now it looks like I have 2 rumpless chickens! [​IMG]

I have never had chickens with such a big blow out in 24 hours. It's really amazing. We had another cold front come through. If they keep this up, I may have to get out my knitting needles! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by