It only took 3 1/2 hours

BillT

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Sweetwater, TN
We processed 25 meaties this morning and it only took 3 1/2 hours. To some that may be a long time, but to us that was GREAT.
I have only processed 15 other chickens before total and the other three helpers had never processed any before. I think I'm ready for the next batch of 50 coming September 9th.
We had a good system I think. I dispatched the meatie, another person scalded and plucked ( love the whizbang plucker) and two others gutted and bagged them and put them in the refrigerator.

They finished out between 5 1/4 lbs and 6 lbs. They were 9 weeks old.
Not a bad day.

I we can do it, anyone can!

Bill

thumbsup.gif

I love these threads! I'm going to do meaties next year and it's so encouraging to hear how well it went for you. Our county ext. rents the whole set up--cones, scalder, and plucker for $20 a day so that is what we're going to do.

Quote:
No way! That's so cool. I gotta look into that if my hubby can't fix the old industrial plucker here on the ranch.

And....
yippiechickie.gif
That's a processing time I'd be very happy with.
smile.png
Congrats.

Quote:
awesome Bill!! COngrats! were these girls or boy Cx's?? I have only girls and Ill let them go to 9 weeks if they'll get that big!

Quote:
awesome Bill!! COngrats! were these girls or boy Cx's?? I have only girls and Ill let them go to 9 weeks if they'll get that big!

They were all roos

Quote:

They were all roos

k-well that rots for me! haha guess Ill have 4lber's-5lber's good enough--did you provide light 24 /7 for them at all??

sonew123

I fed them a little different than most. I started them on 16% for the first week and then switched them to 20% for the rest of the time. I fed them once a day in the morning and gave them enough to last till about 4:00 in the afternoon. Them were in a run that was 16 by 32 feet with a 10 by 12 shelter. This feeding schedule seemed to work even with the 96 degree days we've had. No heart attacks or leg problems. This fall I may increase the protein and give them more food. With the cooler temps they should be OK.
Good Luck with yours!

Bill

Not to bad but to messy and to much work for me.I took another batch of 100 in today to get done and it took the three people doing it about 45 minutes to do all 100,they even clean the gizzards for you for $1.75 per bird.they all dressed out about 5 1/2 lbs each and they were 7 weeks old,i feed them 23% turkey grower from are local plant that only does feed for all the turkey barns around here,it cost $9.50 per 50 pound bag and takes about 18 bags to feed them out for 6 weeks,I feed the 23% the whole time and never have leg trouble our heart trouble with it.i fill there feeders up in the morning and they have it all gone withen 10-15 minutes and then they get some more about a hour before dark.would have had them done a week earlier but our daughter took a pen of three to the fair last week at 6 weeks old and won Champion meat bird.

Quote:
I will probably increase the protein on the next bunch. This was our first time with meaties so I.m OK with the way it went.
There will be some changes the next time and we will get better with the processing.

Sounds like you have a good setup.

Bill

Ya i learn more every time i raise them,i have been raising them for 3 years now and we do more each year, this year we did 1000,not sure if we will do anymore this year or not,so far they all seem to get sold by the time they are ready.my wife works at the hospital here and we sale 75% of them to other people that work there.we still make about $5 per bird after chicks,feed and processing.i finish the birds on soybean meal,it seams to fatten them up a little more.we also chill them for 24 hours before they get bagged and frozen that helps keep them nice and tender.Mike

Back
Top Bottom