It pays to be different ;)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Delta2 23, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    I always feed the pigeons in the park that have unusual patterns, or have white feathers.

And I know my ducks, Sheldy and Noodle, whom we released onto the city river, wouldn't have survived for as long as they did if the general population hadn't taken a shine to the "lovely white ducks" in amongst the brown ones. They were awfully slow waddlers.

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Im not sure if this has been asked but why did you release ducks onto the river?

3. Kschwartz

Kschwartz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Quote:Yeah why would you release domesticated ducks? They don't have enough of their initial natural instinct to survive if they were raised by people.

4. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Yea whyed you realease them they will probably die now

5. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably dead already..... Its also illegal

6. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    Thank you for feeding the pigeons!

7. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    They would've died a lot earlier if we hadn't released them. They were being endlessly pecked by the chickens, their little pond kept drying up in the summer, and the place stank. They were really unhappy.

We checked up on them for several weeks until we were sure they'd settled in... they've been there for a couple of years now [​IMG]

8. Mrs. Cannon

Mrs. Cannon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Vandalia, IL
    Quote:My family did that years and years and years ago! They took to the park pond and everyone loved them [​IMG] They were there a good 5 years but I haven't been out that way so I don't know if they're still there or not.
    Yes thank you for feeding the pigeons! They need love too![​IMG]

9. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Mrs. Cannon :

Quote:My family did that years and years and years ago! They took to the park pond and everyone loved them [​IMG] They were there a good 5 years but I haven't been out that way so I don't know if they're still there or not.
    Yes thank you for feeding the pigeons! They need love too![​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yeah, I've talked to a few people. "Sheldy and Noodle!" they say. "What beautiful names! Well, I'll always remember them when I see the two white ducks around."

There are so many with broken legs that can't fly. You've got to take pity on the poor things [​IMG]

10. Kschwartz

Kschwartz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Quote:Well that's kind of your responsibility to take care of them and make sure they ARE happy. Dumping them out in a stream to survive themselves is pretty much a death sentence..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by