It seems to have worked!

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
With some trepidation I went ahead and put my new 4wk old Australops in with my 10wk old RIR who lost her buddy to a predator several days ago. I put them in at night after she was already roosting. She woke up, jumped down and checked them out a bit and then just jumped back up to the roost. I had her and the other pullets out ranging around the yard for a couple hours late this afternoon and then let the little girls out with them about 20mins ago when I could keep a better eye on things. The other three girls a not tolerant of them (as I knew they wouldn't be... they are bullies). They follow the RIR around like she is their mom and she doesn't seem to mind a bit. Doesn't mother them, but also doesn't peck at them unless they do something major to annoy her. I am so glad that it seems to be working out so far! I was really worried about her being by herself.

Edited to say: I have two different coops so the bullies don't have any access to the little ones unless they are ranging around the yard while I am watching.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love it when it works out so smooth. In a few weeks I am going to try introductions too. Glad yours worked out!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom