It seems to look like the feathers are breaking they are turing brown

amillecay

Songster
8 Years
Dec 29, 2011
I don't know what is going on with them I don't know if the are molting or if they have a parasite
First of all it almost looks like some of the feathers on the back and neck (only on some of them neck) this is the roosters too not only hens. I could almost say it's like they are breaking the part that is breaking off is brown and some of them are not brown and the feathers arn't breaking they just lost the feathers on the back (only a bit to make an open area which did start bleeding a little but I think that is just because it is so cold out and the skin cracked because there are no feathers on it. Anyway back to the brown onse I have no idea whats going on and I really need to figure this out I have checked for mites and stuff at night but I didn't see any i have also checked for lice but again didn't see any. I put some stuff on the onse that were bleeding so they aren't anymore. Also they are eating regularly and going in the coop at night like they are suppose to the don't sem restles or anything. They are about 6-7 months and some are huge and some are little to tell you the truth I don't know what breeds they are because I got them from someone have done research to find out but havn't had much luck. I think one of them is a Maran But NOt Sure then otherwise I'm not sure what the other onse were but i have about 16 chickens and love them all very much i would really reall really be happy if I could tell my what this is
smile.png
))) thanks!!! Also I was suppose to get rid of a few to eat them are they gunna be ok for that?? O yeah and this is my second set of chickens so i'm not a first timer my last chickens I had which was only 2 went fine all winter so this is my first with any crazy emergencies

Last edited:
Can you post pics? could be moulting I would use blukote the areas missing feathers. If they are picking each other thats a different matter. Are you seeing a lot of feathers laying around the coop? If not they are probably eating them which means they arent getting enough protein means you need to go to a higher protein feed.

ok thanks I will put some photos up but my phone has not been sending the whole thing so i'm working on it

Back
Top Bottom