1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It sounds gross but...can you eat duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by The Red Rooster, Aug 15, 2011.

1. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Ok, Thanks everybody! I'll try them when she starts laying![​IMG]

2. LLCoyote

LLCoyote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    I bought Welsh Harlequins for that very reason. The eggs are fantastic! Really tastey. My friend has malards and she eats their eggs too. It's not gross, it's a natural product and perk of owning ducks. The reason that most people can't buy duck eggs from the store is water fowl need a lot more care than chickens and the corperate farms can't be bothered to care enough. Duck eggs are better than ducks eggs in my opinion and it makes me happy to have a home grown egg XD I grew up in the city so, simple pleasures now!

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I bought duck eggs at chickenstock in June from a fellow BYCer. I ate them about 4 times before I put 2 and 2 together and realized I'm allergic. It's a combination of intolerance (digestive upset) and histamine reaction (itching, cracked corners of mouth, swollen eyelids). The last time I was vomiting. It's too bad because I really liked them. Both my kids can eat them and my husband, niece and nephews too. If I make them for other people I have to remember to wash my hands after cracking them. If I get egg on my hand and then touch my face I get itchy. It does make me wonder if I have any other food allergies I don't know about. [​IMG]

4. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Duck eggs are good scrambled ( I add a little milk and cheese), if fried cook on lower heat, baked goods( they make fantastic brownies, cakes, cookies etc), I also use them in bread... I also make pan cakes with them and waffles...
    oh and french toast.
    hopefully one of these days I'll be able to use them in homemade ice cream when I get a machine...

5. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    I admit it grosses me out for some reason, too. [​IMG] I have no idea why because I like chicken eggs. I do sneak and feed them to my daughter, though.

The dogs love them! I usually just toss them out of the pen for the dogs to eat raw -- they eat the entire egg, shell and all.

6. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    I will go to use our duck eggs before our chicken eggs. They are wonderful!!! I am not new to baking, and noticed our duck eggs I've been using in my recipes have greatly improved texture. It's hard to go back now. I haven't noticed a flavor difference, only because I don't eat plain eggs (scrambled, fried, etc)...never could. [​IMG]

7. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Shoot Muggs, with all those beautiful chicken eggs you don't EAT them!! I guess I should be happy, cuz they sure make pretty hens!! LOL Hugs!

8. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    Duck eggs are the best for baking. Turkey eggs come in a close second. I have BB turkey that is two years old and lays giant eggs. I manage her diet so she can still walk.

9. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Not Gross at all. Growing up we at the all the time. Great for baking as others have posted.

10. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    They make excellent lemon butter pound cakes, which i only make with them now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by