It was cute, but what was she doing?

tacmomma12

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 31, 2012
RI
So my sons were out playing in the backyard just before dusk tonight. My younger boy was pushing a toy truck around the yard while the chickens were out (almost 16 weeks old) foraging and enjoying the warm evening.

Camilla- one of my RIR was off on her own and whenever he ran by her, she would try to chase him down, clucking and 'calling to him'. It was adorable, but I wonder what she was doing as normally a child running and being loud deters the girls from being anywhere near them. It wasn't just once, it was everytime he went by her.

Was she trying to 'mother hen' him, did she want to play too, chasing off a 'threat'? When he would stop, she'd walk right up to him and keep on with the 'talking'. It was like she was trying to boss him around! She's our friendliest girl by far.

She's kind of the alpha hen, top of the pecking order if there is one in our little flock. Her wattles and comb are nice and red, so she might be laying soon. Not sure if that brings out the 'mothering' in her, but it was funny! Just want to know if you think that's why she was chasing him around, or at least make you chuckle. I should have gotten a picture!

Back
Top Bottom