1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It won't kill them to eat a *little* bit of layer feed right?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Oceanseve, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    I picked up some flock raiser and stuck it outside w/ my hen and 4 week olds. There is one feeder that still has a little bit of layer in it, which I hate to waste. It probably would be okay right? Even if the 4 wo's get some of it, it shouldn't harm them right since its such a small amount? Is there a better option than flock raiser? I threw some starter (nonmed) in there too, so I think all my bases are covered.... what do you feed your flock when you have young and old?

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Theyll be fine. My free ranging flock only gets layer pellets and one of them has chicks. I know the chicks eat some of it too. Nothing has ever happened to any of mine.

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    they will be fine my son accently feed layer to my week old chicks for a few day before I realized he had the wrong feed, he was being helpful becouse I was layed up. they all made it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by