it worked , it worked, hahah

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by emjay, Oct 17, 2010.

1. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    So, I have 5 welsh harlequins, two of which are drakes. They both have been a bit bold, they haven't gone for me , but, they've thought about it. Head down, neck fluffed up, coming towards me. Well, I did as I read here. I sat over them, one at a time, held their heads flat to the ground.

wow, what a difference. I can now pet them, pick them up, they come right up to me, they've been completely humbled. I'm so happy.

I knew I loved ducks for a reason, they are so gosh darn cute and so easy to negotiate with, haha.

2. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    good for you, emjay!!!![​IMG]

4. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    so if you just hold their head to the ground, they will like you, or something like that?? Explain please!

5. emjay

Sep 6, 2009
    I read here in this duck topic area about this trick. can't remember what the topic title was though.

my ducks came close enough the otehr day that I was able to grab them. I just basically, had one leg over, or knelt over top of their back and had their neck fully outstretched and held their heads down. I held them like that for a few minutes. if they struggled, I held them longer until they relaxed.

They are so well mannered now, much improved.

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Thats great! Keep those guys in line! [​IMG]

7. emjay

Sep 6, 2009
    haha, now if it would only work on my hubby. haha

8. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Duck molester!!! [​IMG]
    No, I actually suggested that with others. I'm glad the menace got the message and behaves now. Job well done!

9. emjay

Sep 6, 2009
    thanks.

I was actually quite surprised at the difference it made. After doing that to the two drakes, even the girls were calmer, I can now pet them all, and pick them up if I wanted to.

I guess when you claim dominant role, they become submissive.

I do love my ducks. I really wish I had gotten them sooner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by