Its 10 degrees and freezing! What should I do for my ducks!?!

PDurkin

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 27, 2010
Country boy at heart
Hi, I live in Connecticut and tonight its 10 degrees! I have a flock of ducks outside cooped up in a pen with a tarp over it for body heat (its about 5x5) It is very crowded for a reason, about 15 birds out there. Will they be okay for tonight? What should I do? Should I expect deaths tomorrow morning?

Please help!!! THANKS

you could run an outdoor extentsion cord out there with an infared light for heat...
or a regular one if the pet/farm store is closed, make sure it is far enough from
combustables so you don't start a fire or get one of those heating pads that are
hard and waterproof , usually sold in the dog section of your pet store.
I might wrap the lean to with heavy duty plastic or a
tarp to help with the wind & blowing snow.

Ducks are even tougher than chickens when it comes to the cold, wind and snow. Leave them be. Do not add any heat because you will cook them. They will orient themselves outside in the snow so that the wind barely skims over them. They are pretty aerodynamic when they want to be. Moving through heavy snow is not a problem for them- they will "swim" through it like they do water. Just make sure they have access to feed and water. They probably will not even drink the water because they tend to hunker down, tuck their heads and feet into their feathers, and eat snow as they need it for fluid. I have worried over my ducks for the last 2 winters, but I am realizing that they are absolutely fine. As tough as chickens are, ducks make them look like amateurs in the rotten weather tolerance.

Good luck.

I'm in CT too and we had a low of 4* last night! Happy to report all 5 hens and 7 pullets are doing just fine this morning. Yep the water was frozen solid, but that was easily fixed this morning. They breakfasted on fresh cooked pasta and kale this morning. I can't find any signs of frostbite and they all went out the pop door for a look see first thing. Angelia the Australorp is milling around the nest boxes getting ready to lay an egg even!
lol.png

CMV said it best.

I have them and they are fine.
Never lost a healthy duck due to cold weather.

just my.02

I have one indian runner duck who lives in a dog house under the chicken coop. He stays out there in his doggy condo all alone and we get -19F several nights in a row here. This is his 4th winter and he's yet to have a problem. I was worried about him the first winter but now I know he's a tough one! You're duckies will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom