it's 35° F. Here. Got Down to 33° and...

OldGuy43

Songster
8 Years
our 16 chickens and 9 ducks are doing fine. That's not wind chill, it's the actual temperature. The wind is gusting up to approximately 20 mph. We got 6 duck eggs and 4 chicken. About 10 hours and fifteen minutes of daylight. No extra light or heat. No real coop. Just a three sided hut with a roof and plenty of pine shavings.
smile.png

Good information! My weather is similar to yours, and while my coop technically has 4 sides, parts of them are hardware cloth or just open air, so that in terms of temp and air movement, it's no different from a 3 sided coop.

I imagine it shocks some people to read that people keep chickens in Alaska without heat.

It's colder than that in Dallas right now and we are blanketed in about two inches of solid ice! My chickens have not seen ice or snow before, so at first this morning they flat-out refused to leave the coop and went back to roosting. They are outside now and they do NOT look impressed. I've been trying to shovel some of the ice out of their run but it's packed solid. The ice in their waterers keeps freezing over too and I don't have heated ones, because, well, this is Texas...
hmm.png

Hit 19 F here in central Cali the other morning, turned the water on in the shower & the water slowed to a trickle for about 5 minutes. The pipes were almost frozen! Last night I opened the attic crawl space & blew heated air into the attic. 22F this morning. The chicken cup waterer have been frozen as was the drain valve for the system, even though the water in the cooler was not. Not sure about the plumbing since the valve was frozen. Not geared for cold weather, not the houses,not me not anymore. Northerners are gonna be laughing at us, because such mild temps are causing us so much grief.
smile.png

We are just not prepared for it like our friends up north! I didn't expect the ice to be as bad as it is, but I also didn't go all-out winterizing the coop since the lowest we usually see in Dallas Texas over the winter is what, like 34, 35F? Craaaay-zeee.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom