It's a girl!

Cavendish Chickens

Songster
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Summit County, Ohio
So, we incubated 6 eggs. 2 Orpington, 2 Mille Fluer, and 2 Sussex. Only 1 hatched and it was an adorable little girl Sussex.
wee.gif
She is the sweetest little thing.
love.gif
I named her Precious. She LOVES to be held. When I put my hand in her box, no matter the reason, she jumps right into my hand and sits there to be held. When we put her back down in her box, she chirps like crazy wanting picked back up. Can you hold a newly hatched chick too much? She is a day old. Just hatched yesterday. I didn't handle her until today. She has a healthy chirp and is eating and drinking wonderfully. Since she is the only one that hatched and the rest failed, we felt bad about her being alone, so we went to get her a "litter mate". Turned out the only Sussex's available turn a month old Monday. We got a male. My mom really wants a rooster. So, we have the whole get them used to each other first thing to deal with, along with having to tame him. He's been talked to, but not handled. So we have our work cut out with him.
fl.gif
We are going to let my mom name him since she wanted him. Right now she is in ICU in the hospital. She had a heart attack last week, but is on the road to recovery. Can't wait to have her home. I do have one question tonight....

How the heck do you post pictures on here? lol I'd like to post pics of the babies. Thanks!

Hey I have been trying to figure out how to sex my chicks. What method did you use to find out she was a girl. Any help would be appreciated. I have (5) 1 week olds, and 12 eggs in the incubator. I only want to keep hens as we had a near disaster with 2 roos earlier this year. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom